• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch lever lock plate

F18hornetM

Finished installing winch but was missing a couple parts. The top cross piece above the winch drum, lock plate for PTO shift lever and of course gaskets, studs and ubolts. Found studs and ubolts at Napa easy enough, but decided to make lock plate and winch bracket. Couldnt find a good picture of a lock plate, so just built my own. Wanted a small hinge so used 3" x 1/4" solid rod, and bored 1/8" hole in it on lathe, then cut in 3 pieces. Installed 1/8" pin and welded to opposite parts..Homemade hinge..bent up left corner to get finger under to better to lift when down on floor. Pipe can be used for hinges like these, but I like solid rod drilled out. Makes for better pin fits and you can use make hinges of any size.
The top piece of the winch I made from 10ga sheet metal, and bent on brake to make a piece of channel. Think it looks close to pictures I've seen.

Attachments

Last edited:

jimmcld

I thought about making one also, before I finally found one. I was thinking of using a door hinge and just modifying it a bit. Yours looks good.

F18hornetM

Looks good. I think that lock plate is spendy if you can find them.

Thanks guys. I bought some other stuff, tires, cargo cover etc, from a salvage yard. 2 trucks had winches and neither had the lock plate or top winch plate..go figure:roll: so just gave up and made them. Did get a good deal on tires though. $75 new on rims, still had little ridge around center from mold. Must have been spares .

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was lazy. Bought a new lockplate from a surplus dealer and the top channel from ODI when they were producing them.

spicergear

Door hinges work great! I used one for the winch lever on my M715 then one for the front axle engage on the manual shift t-case REB kit on my crane truck.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well done, F18hornetM! I applaud everyone using his imagination and skills to make their own missing parts, as long as you can't find them everywhere...! (It means much more than just solving that particular problem and not spending that $...)

Best of course if you can make some extra$$ from some extra parts...:)

G.

Attachments

F18hornetM

I saw someone else has posted and offer to make the top plates for the winch on here. I'm not sure if the one i made is accurate or not, but i did not want the 90 deg corners as we're often standing there or working around the front. I like the corners cut at at an angel. Never really have seen what one is supposed to look like.