• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch Mount - M35A3

v8turbo

I give up on trying to win a M35A3 with Winch Auction. Im now going M35A3 Commando... (No Winch)

It looks like Warn, Ramsey, Mile Marker ....etc... have 24V options. Question is this: Who makes a killer winch mount? Or... how did you mount yours?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where is he going to find the correct winch kit? Has anyone ever seen an M35A3 parts truck come out with a winch? I follow the auctions religiously and I've never seen a w/w A3 come out that might be stripped for parts. I could have missed one, but I don't think so.

Why do you need a winch? Off-roading? Just for looks? If it is the latter, my suggestion would be to either ante up and get a w/w truck or get over it and do without one. Do you care about your truck looking right? If so, an after market winch kit won't do the trick. If I still HAD TO HAVE A WINCH, and I was set on bidding on an M35A3 wo/w, I would consider contacting McCLANAHAN (Terry) on this list. He sells new A3 parts. Be prepared, though...while he can get anything because he is an authorized AM General dealer, you WILL pay for it! I bet it would be cheaper just to wait for a w/w truck.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where is he going to find the correct winch kit? Has anyone ever seen an M35A3 parts truck come out with a winch?
I am not really a big A3 fan and really don't follow them but CSI did have one last time I was there (about a year ago) that should have been a parts truck. They did have several in different stages of work so who knows what's left on it by now. There's no question adding the winch by itself will definately not be cheap. As Bruce said, you would probably get off cheaper by just buying a W/W truck and selling yours.

v8turbo

Q: Where is he going to find the correct winch kit? Has anyone ever seen an M35A3 parts truck come out with a winch?
*Reaponse: That is what I was thinking.

Q: Why do you need a winch? Off-roading?
*Response - Yes - Offroad

Q: Do you care about your truck looking right?
*Response - No- going to take bed off an have custom RV Box built. Truck will be used to tour Canada and Alaska for 3-6 months. I am most concerned with the winch set up being bullet proof. If I go electric, I could make front and rear mounts with quick disconnects.

O: If so, an after market winch kit won't do the trick. If I still HAD TO HAVE A WINCH, and I was set on bidding on an M35A3 wo/w, I would consider contacting McCLANAHAN (Terry) on this list.

*Response - Ill reach out to Terry on this.

quote]

When I looked at all the expedition type vehicles for sale... they start at 200K for a Jeep or Ford F series. The range heads up to the 2 mil range with the Mercedes Unimog style or the trucks made by MAN.

see examples:
Custom-Built Expedition Vehicles & Campers For Sale |Unimog for Sale | Global Expedition Vehicles

www.earthroamer.com

Unicat - Go Anywhere Off-Road RV - Vehicles for Rescue, Escape, Survival, or Pleasure

Unicat - Go Anywhere Off-Road RV - Vehicles for Rescue, Escape, Survival, or Pleasure

So.... check me on my logic here.... Get a M35A3, spend at most 30k building the ultimate rv/living space with 200gal water, diesel generator.....etc.

already have had a custom rv/trailer shop on the hook ready to bust out some CAD blueprints.

I think .. i would have a vehcile that could hang with the 750k rigs(minus the highway speeed and comfort). I plan to be on all back roads/dirt roads...like the Dalton Highway..etc.

Good Idea?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HNDRSONJ indicated that CSI might have a w/w parts truck so that might be a good first call. Good luck!

rwoods

Good Idea? As they say "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder". If you have never driven a deuce, I would recommend you try and find one to try out. It may fit you perfectly or it may be very uncomfortable to you. A w/w is going to be cheaper than a conversion (military issue or not)unless you just happen to have the components. If I were going to travel in an A3, I would seriously look at installing an overdrive. I would also make sure I had a source for tires as 14.5 R20's are hard to find. Otherwise go for it. My 2cents.

markmontana

Yes, any idea is a good idea!

For your budget and end use, I would suggest a custom built front bumper/winch mount. That way you don't have to store a portable/detachable winch and mount.If you actually do a big trip- space will be at a premium. I had Advanced build one for me years ago and it was high on the cool factor:

Custom Truck Bumpers, Heavy Duty Replacement Bumpers, Custom Flat Beds From Advanced Manufacturing

There are many other custom builders out there- pick a winch, and then talk to the factory about their ideas. If you do it right, they will sponsor your rig and help you out.

You will probably want to install a 12v alternator to the truck, so a big electric winch would work great (in either 12 or 24v). I plan to do the quick detach winch mount and just install a 2" receiver for a couple non-winch trucks. Leave the winch at home until the elk hunt.

About the choice of truck- my vote would be for an A2 multifuel. But since you didn't ask about a truck choice, I won't say anything...

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 71 M-35 and last weekend I just finished up installing a winch on it, its the standard Garwood 10K model, I found it complete as a take off for 1500.00, I had to replace a couple seals and rebuild the PTO drive shaft but everything went together just as advertised and it took some time but was well worth the effort. I believe this is going to be you BEST option, its a fun project and you know exactly what you are getting and what its capable of! Good luck and if Interested I might be able to put you in contact with a guy that might have and extra one laying around!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A3's are hydraulic. Also, you might check with SECO too (but again will be $$$$).

SEAFIRE

Just my 2 cents:

Why do you have to have an A3? it would easier to find a real good condition A2 W/W.

Or... get a M109A3, ( M35 with a box instead of a bed ) put a winch on it and convert it to a "expedition type vehicle"

I like what this guy did with a M109A3:

MilitaryTrucks.ca Website - M109 Military Truck RV Project

I've seen pics of another M109 converted to a RV where they remounted the spare tire and put a Diesel Genset in the space the spare tire was.

There is an A3 version of the M109 called the M109A4, but these are probably rarer than the A3 W/W, and you would still have to get a winch

v8turbo

Just my 2 cents:

Why do you have to have an A3? it would easier to find a real good condition A2 W/W.

Or... get a M109A3, ( M35 with a box instead of a bed ) put a winch on it and convert it to a "expedition type vehicle"

I like what this guy did with a M109A3:

MilitaryTrucks.ca Website - M109 Military Truck RV Project

I've seen pics of another M109 converted to a RV where they remounted the spare tire and put a Diesel Genset in the space the spare tire was.

There is an A3 version of the M109 called the M109A4, but these are probably rarer than the A3 W/W, and you would still have to get a winch

Nice. This may be the way to go and waaay less $$. Im all over it. Hours and hours ahead off internet research tonight.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you decide to go electric Just don't expect (even a 15K electric) it to be as strong as the stock setup.

Looks like you're planning on spending a bunch of money on the truck anyway so why not go ahead and buy one with winch?

v8turbo

If you decide to go electric Just don't expect (even a 15K electric) it to be as strong as the stock setup.

Looks like you're planning on spending a bunch of money on the truck anyway so why not go ahead and buy one with winch?

I prefer a W/W model. Just hard to find. If not, I live in SoCal right in the heart of all the big off road/race shops and fabricators. I could have one of them build a killer winch set up baja style with HID lights all over it.

Lots of options. Ill keep looking!

wehring

A3 winch parts

I have most everything you need less winch (motor, reservoir, motor bracket, etc)

Give me a call.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112