• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch newbie.

engineer233

I have searched til I've went cross eyed reading. I have read the TM on winch operation but still have a few questions. The first is can you wind the winch and use the truck in drive at the same time if you happen to be stuck ? The other is I can't seem to make my winch unwind what am I doing wrong or what could be wrong ?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Which truck is it? Generally the 1st answer is yes, but use the lowest gears. Turning the wheels too, will help break the suction of the mud/whatever. Use extreme care though. You are using lots of power, and its real easy to break something. Get the winch line tight first. Always keep tension on the winch line, and never let it get an axxhole in it, (that's a loop, for non believers) or you can kink it.

Don't know the truck you have so its hard to answer the 2nd part, but sometimes if you let the winds on the drum get loose, and then you put a heavy pull on it, the line will cut down in the wraps and pinch itself. If this happens, you probably can't pull it out manually. but need to tie onto a good tree, and pull it out under power with the truck. Its a bad thing to let happen. The line is expensive, and needs to be taker very good care of. Always keep drum wound tight!

engineer233

Sorry I meant to mention it is on my M932A1. I plan to mess with it some more on Sunday and hope to have better luck . Thanks rosco .

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can power out the line by moving the winch control lever in the cab. You can pull the line off by hand if you disengage the disengagement lever on the winch itself. Also make sure your drum lock is out.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Operation of the winch should be covered in the -10TM for your truck. Read it, it should answer both of your questions(and possibly save you hundreds of dollars and possibly a life).

m816

Drum lock disengaged,every thing else in neutral and hook the cable to a strong veicle and pull it untill it frees itself. I' m thinking you have an over wound drum and the cable has pinched itself.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks