• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch off a deuce....

Titanium-Wolverine

When I posted about the m35a3 I wanted to buy from my friend, there was someone in a post that said that the winches were worth a thousand bucks.

EDITED...LOL

SO, how much will the cable hold,,,not the winch itself, but the cable?

Last edited:

KsM715

I know it doesnt make sense in this case but we are not suposed to discuss ebay/CL ads unless its your own ad.

Theres no need from anyone else to discuss why or why not. Its a rule lets just leave it at that.

Expect this thread to be deleted in 3. 2. 1.....................

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the $400 deal a complete winch setup or just the winch itself? Just the winch commonly sells for $400 or less. A complete setup goes for $1,000-$1500.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How much what, will it hold?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/45351-replacement-winch-cable.html

A search for cable rating, cable load rating, etc, will give you a days Worth of reading.

Do you really need to know the winch cable rating? or should you have simply not posted a direct link to an active Clist ad, then simply changed your post and now we will all needlessly try to answer a question that does not matter to you?

KsM715

sorry had to change the subject quick.......:)

But I would like to know what the cable on the winch is rated for,,,what would break first, the cable or the winch?

The winch they put on the m35a3

The shear pin had better give before the cable. I have seen pics of people that had bolts instead of shear pins and the winch case gave out and cracked before the cable. If the cable is in good working order (no kinks or badly frayed areas) you will never break the cable. (if you're using the winch properly, not being stupid with it)

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does the A3 use a shear pin or pressure relieve valve? TM...

edit, it uses a shear pin, NSN 5315014412294

and the A2 uses NSN 5315-00-736-8685

Last edited:

KsM715

Does the A3 use a shear pin or pressure relieve valve? TM...

edit, it uses a shear pin, NSN 5315014412294

and the A2 uses NSN 5315-00-736-8685

Dang your faster than me. I had it and went back to post and when I clicked "quote" your edit showed up.:shock:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As for what will fail, well what ever part is compromised or in bad condition, may fail before the planned safety item(shear pin).

Unless a cable is new, I would never trust it to hold it's full rating.

Titanium-Wolverine

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/45351-replacement-winch-cable.html

A search for cable rating, cable load rating, etc, will give you a days Worth of reading.

Do you really need to know the winch cable rating? or should you have simply not posted a direct link to an active Clist ad, then simply changed your post and now we will all needlessly try to answer a question that does not matter to you?
ohhhh, you again?:| (you are going to be the thorn in my side arent you....?) lol,,JK!:)

I did post a comment about a item that I thought would be a good deal for someone (I was trying to be a nice guy),,,,,wasnt breaking the rules (technically), I was just informing these guys about a guy that had a good deal on a winch,,,it just happed to be on CL

but,,,figured that I better remove it before you got here, just in case...:|

but, since the thread was about a winch, I figured I would ask THE question that was in my head.

Here is my thinking.

I stopped and looked at my new truck (soon to be),,on way back from Cherokee NC and looked at the winch on it ,,,it looked to be half inch cable. I did a google search on half inch cable rating, and it it is different for every website you read,,,its getting annoying.

20,000 pound winch, with a 17,500 - 28,000 (break strengh cable), with a 3200-9500 pound safe working load limit.

I know there are different cables, and half of that info I found is probably wrong, so what is the military grade winch strengths and weaknesses?

Just wondering what would give first?