• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch off a deuce....

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doc Morgan is right it is 5/8 cable.
Just kidding or....???
We are talking about a Deuce front winch, rated 10,000lbs @ 15 ft/minute, on bare drum. Normally it comes with 1/2" 19x6 wire rope; a 9/16" will also (barely) fit into the drum opening, but not a 5/8"!

G.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ohhhh, you again?:neutral: (you are going to be the thorn in my side aren't you....?) lol,,JK!:smile:
Think of me more like a rose above the thorns, or a flower in a field of weeds...

wasn't breaking the rules (technically), I was just informing these guys about a guy that had a good deal on a winch,,,it just happed to be on CL
Better re-read the rules

I did a google search on half inch cable rating, and it it is different for every website you read,,,its getting annoying.
Your looking in the wrong place. Every Military truck has a set of technical manuals. They document everything from operator usage , parts with NSN numbers(that you can look up for specifications), to repair procedures(simple to complex).

You really need to download the TMs for an M35A3(they are available free)

Seeing the rose yet?

Titanium-Wolverine

Think of me more like a rose above the thorns, or a flower in a field of weeds...

Better re-read the rules

Your looking in the wrong place. Every Military truck has a set of technical manuals. They document everything from operator usage , parts with NSN numbers(that you can look up for specifications), to repair procedures(simple to complex).

You really need to download the TMs for an M35A3(they are available free)

Seeing the rose yet?
lol,,,,for an old cranky guy you are kinda humorus........

Titanium-Wolverine

Just kidding or....???
We are talking about a Deuce front winch, rated 10,000lbs @ 15 ft/minute, on bare drum. Normally it comes with 1/2" 19x6 wire rope; a 9/16" will also (barely) fit into the drum opening, but not a 5/8"!

G.
Ok, now I am really confused,,,,why (on this site also) do people refer to the winch on the m35a3 as a 20 thousand pound winch........?:confused: I have seen that on GL, ebay, and forums. Are there more than 1 type of winch for the m35?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These are the TMs you need for the A3.

They are available to download for free here, JATONKAM35s HOME ON THE WEB

LO 2320-386-12

TM 9-2320-386-10

TM 9-2320-386-24-1-1

TM9-2320-386-24-1-2

TM9-2320-386-24P

And as my favorite movie line says, "Salvation lies within"

Last edited:

KsM715

Ok, now I am really confused,,,,why (on this site also) do people refer to the winch on the m35a3 as a 20 thousand pound winch........?:confused: I have seen that on GL, ebay, and forums. Are there more than 1 type of winch for the m35?

Simple human error.

There was a famous quote floating around here for a while............"the internet is full of misinformation" -Ben Franklin

KsM715

To add to your confusion, some people have put the #20,000 winch on to a deuce. (its easy to spot though, they are completely different looking winches)

KsM715

Back on topic. (Sort of) Never turn your back when doing a recovery with cable, used or new. I am almost certain this cable had been inspected and thought to be good. Accidents happen.

Everytime I see this, I am impressed (beyond belief) by that sailor that jumps the cable, twice.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX19sAudmic[/media]

Titanium-Wolverine

WOW, that cable whipped back with some force! Its amazing that the guy jumped it,,not once, but twice.:shock:

I have snapped the cheap cable come-a-long cables that are rated @ 4000 lbs.

I always make them from a 2:1 to a 1:1,,,,,,:) easier to use, but really take the life out of them when pulling heavier loads.

the sound of a cable about to break will make any man step back in caution.....LOL

coyotegray

When I posted about the m35a3 I wanted to buy from my friend, there was someone in a post that said that the winches were worth a thousand bucks.

EDITED...LOL

SO, how much will the cable hold,,,not the winch itself, but the cable?
This site is an outstanding place to find/share information. But how you present the question is important..

If your question is based on a specific application, circumstance or problem your trying to solve then just tell us what your trying to do and everyone here will do their very best to help you..

If it's hypothetical and your just curious then start looking at the TMs...

My practical, unqualified, un-researched answer is that it will withstand a static load of at least 10,000 lbs.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
........... it will withstand a static load of at least 10,000 lbs.
YES. You will find the min. breaking strenght for a new, good quality 1/2" 6x19 IPS wire rope specified at over 21,000 lbs....

Interesting enough, in extreme situations when our (OEM) pin is about to shear at close to 300 ft-lb while winding in the first layer on bare drum the tension on the hook goes up to 18,000 lbs! That if we estimated the efficiency of this particular 23:1 worm reduction plus band brake drag, combined, at only 60%...!?
(Drawing and some numbers, below...)

Now imagine the smart guy who prefers to put a steel bolt in place of the AL pin...... !:shock:

G.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks