• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch on 5 ton 6 x6

spalted maple

I am having a hard time getting the drum clutch lever to engage in the "In" and "Out" position and visa versa. This is a front end winch on a 5 ton 6 x 6. Also when I am able to get the lever in the "Out" position, the free spool is not too free at all. The only way I can pull the cable out is hooked to my pickup.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

ncduece

sounds like its needs to be disassembled cleaned and greased, my lever is tight also i imagine rust in bore of the lever, years of sitting i suppose

spalted maple

Thanks for the reply ncduece. Are you saying the entire winch needs to be disassembled, cleaned and greased? Or just the section that the drum clutch lever is located?

Thanks again

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
ump a bunch of rust buster oil on the sticking drum clutch where it goes into the houseing. let it sit, then work it

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
work it a bit at a time, dont force it, also make sure there is NO load on th drum clutch, this will make it hard to disingage, you should be able to feel la bit of free play if you rock the drum back an forth

spalted maple

wow! that was too easy! I sprayed some anti rust stuff where you told me and in beteen the drum and the housing. Less then five minutes later I was able to move the lever back and forth with easy, and the cable pulled out on free wheel like it was nothing! I can't thank you enough! If your into hunting/Fishing or Snowmobiling in the mountains or just to R & R, you have a place to come to. The invitation is serious and you can bring friends.
I'm not sure if you have access to my contact information, nor am I sure I am suppose to place it on a thread like this. I'm not too literate with these forumns. If you don't have access, let me know.

Thank you so much once again

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
any time, thanks for the offer, though wasnt needed, helping each other is one of the GREAT reasons that SS is what it is

every now an then put some oil on the winch controls on the winch , the oil will soak to where its needed, this will help to keep the controls free working