• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch problem

MIDDLEMAN

I have a M925A2. Does anyone know the manufacturer of the winch? I unfortunately used it with out moving the lever outside. I don't know what the lever with the safety catch you flip up first does inside the winch......But something gave way and now the drum moves in either direction and doesn't work when engaged from the cab. Don't rub it in, I feel stupid enough already. Hope to contact the manufacturers tech department to see if they have any insight to what most likely happen before I pull it apart.

sandcobra164

You disengaged the clutch on the winch when you moved that lever. It allows you to "free spool" or pull your cable to whatever it is your trying to hook to. Once connected, put the lever back into it's "engaged" position and winch away.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
You REALLY need to read the -10 tm (operators manual)for the truck, you WILL be amazed the neat stuff you WILL find in the -10, like HOW to OPERATE the WINCH.

74M35A2

Hi Middle. The winch is made by "Garwood".

I doubt you could have broken it. The engagement lever you are speaking about can be moody. Moving the lever to the outside of the truck engages the drum to the motor, and moving it toward the center of the vehicle disengages it. When engaging it, you may need to slightly rotate the drum by hand, or even bang the lever toward engage with your fist to get it to drop in. Mine has always been this way. Try it, and report back. As stated above, yes, there is a small drum lock pin also, same side of the winch. Pull out and rotate to change lock/unlock. Observe the depth of each detent, you'll understand it.

Report back what you find.

74M35A2

Yep, tang.

You may also not have the pump engaged correctly. There is a sequence to it. Engage fully in "1-5", then move to "N" to operate.

I'm not usually a push the manual guy, but for winch operation to a new owner, it probably is downright needed, because it is not just a hop-in-and-pull-the-lever type of deal like it would be on a friend's Jeep. Series of steps to engage, and series of steps to use.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks