• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

winch purchase- what to look for

78Chevy454

There is a guy local to me selling what he calls a complete deuce winch kit. Says it includes the winch, shifter, PTO, drive shaft, frame extensions, and basically anything else needed to put it on the front of my deuce. My question is is there anything I should be looking for specifically that would be a red flag? Thanks.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure it comes with the special shouldered bolts that attach the winch itself to the frame extensions on both sides. They are big $$$ if you need to buy them seperately. I think there are 6 or 8 of them total.

All the bolts that bolt the extensions to the frame are nice too, but easily gotten at a good hardware store, as are the 6 studs that hold the PTO on the tranny. make sure the PTO lkever comes with the metal mount.

The little safety catch/door thing that screws to the floor that keeps the PTO lever from accidentally engaging is a good thing to have. (the dataplate also that goes next to it is a plus if it doesnt get destroyed in the removal process.

As for a red flag, look for obvious abuse. Bent metal is a good indicator. Make sure the drum turns when you turn the input shaft, and the engagement lever slides in and out relatively easily. The drum lock should be free, not rusted in place. Also ask why is he removing it? Parting out the truck or scraping it, or ?????

Check TM 9-2320-361-24P, figure 165 and the next few for the parts you need.

http://www.jatonkam35s.com/DeuceTechnicalManuals/TM9-2320-361-24P.pdf

Last edited:

78Chevy454

The guy buys allot of deuces and parts out all but the best ones from what I understand. He says all bolts are there because he just cut the frame off behind the extensions. I will check to make sure there are no cracks and everything turns as it should. It is missing the cable and hook. Is $750 a good price for everything?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If possible,
  • Check for excessive play on PTO input gear & shaft.
  • Check for broken or severely pitted gears inside PTO.
  • Look for wear/grooves on winch input shaft.
  • Inspect worm gear: put winch upside down, open drivers side drain plug (either 9/16" Allen wrench or 1/2" square), get a mini-flashlight and look for corrosion and pitting while turning shaft over, at least one full turn.
  • Remove brake cover (6 cap screws) and take a look inside.
IMO that is a good price if everything looks fine.

G.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
$750 is a good price. The major dealers are asking $2500 and it's not uncommon to pay $1250-1500 for a complete setup. I've seen just the PTO and drive shaft go for over $400.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'd pay $750.

Does he have a second kit? rofl

eldgenb

I'd pay $750.

Does he have a second kit? rofl
Nope I don't ;-)
as most of you know I build bobbers etc. and only keep the best, this came off of a parts truck. I encourage everyone to check out any parts or kits they buy cause I would not take my word for it either....

78Chevy454

Had no idea you were a member. Meant no disrespect and didn't mean to sound as if I was questioning your word . Just getting a little education. See you in a few hours.

eldgenb

well that deal is not going through, i will extend the offer to any SS member $750 plus shipping has everything mentioned that is needed except cable, chain, and little metal flappy safety for the cab, went on a different truck. Since the cable was toast I was not able to do a load test on the winch, the drum spun fine with the truck running. I don't come on here enough to respond to this post if you are interested just call me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks