• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch question

JohnnyGTO

I have a quick question. Is part #9 to disengage the winch from the PTO and if so what are the steps to doing so? My brother in-law has a five ton and drives it in the engaged (?) position because we can get that sucker to move.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That shaft will lock up if not used. There is a dog clutch there and that engages and disengages it. Without being able to disengage it, you will have no ability to pay off cable in a freespool condition. Wait, ona deuce there is a hingelock bahind that shifter. If the 5 ton has that, perhaps that is part of the problem.

JohnnyGTO

By hinge lock do you mean the stamped metal hinge that locks out the lever once its moved. Thats not in the way.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, that. Since that's not the problem, the shaft has probably corroded in the aluminum housing. May need to dissassemble that to repair it

sermis

JohnnyGTO said:
I have a quick question. Is part #9 to disengage the winch from the PTO and if so what are the steps to doing so? My brother in-law has a five ton and drives it in the engaged (?) position because we can get that sucker to move.
Keep it disengaged while driving and keep the drum lock on to keep the cable from un-spooling. I put my deuce in a bind the other day and the PTO tried to engage from the frame flex and pulled the winch cable in really tight. Glade I had it hooked good to the bumper and it did not take out my radiator.

JohnnyGTO

So does this lever engage and disengage the winch or just lock the spool and if it did move a few months ago just how much force can we put on it? This all started when I was kidding him that one of his passengers would screw up while they were driving and yang the wrong lever in the cab.

Gamagoat1

Turn the pto shaft with something, if the drum moves turn the other way. This will take the load off of the engagement pall and allow the lever to be put back in neutral. It may take several turns on the shaft untill it can be disengaged. This lever engages and disengages the drum to the drive gear. The drum lock locks the drum in position when not in use. Make sure it is pulled out before attempting to turn anything.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks