• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch Questions

Gypsyman

Thank you jasonjc. That's exactly what I was looking for. It appears that there are slight variations in the hooks over the years as noted by the mounting tab for a lock lever on yours. That's a very large hook to be marked 1/2". Probably why it's been so tough for me to match.

Gypsyman

On the subject of winching how about snatch blocks. We all know the correct calculation for 1/2" wire rope requires a 6" pulley sheave but it seems nearly impossible to find that combination. Over the last few weeks of looking and reading old threads they all appear to stop at 4" pulleys for 1/2" wire. 6" sheaves all seem to be for 5/8" wire. Based on the calculations and recommendations I would think that 6" blocks for 1/2" wire rope would be common.

Am I missing something here?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am using the Keeper KWA 14650 snatch block. It has a 6in pulley diameter. Suitable for up to 3/4 in wire rope. 6t WLL and rated for 36,000lbs.

Similar models available from Smittybuilt and MileMarker.

Nice is that it weighs 9 lbs.

I carry a military snatch block as well which is a great choice for days on which you feel like throwing your back out or need full pull and then some.
Weighs at least 35 lbs.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Gypsyman

I have one of the monsters 6" blocks from a 5 ton (or larger) and they are and handful for my old bones. I had two different leads on correct NSN 3940-00-111-6693 SWL 5T 6" deuce blocks but both sellers went radio silent. I'll keep hunting...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks