• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch Questions

CMSGT

I have read TM 9-2320-260-10 winch section and read numerous posts on the subject. Since the winch can obviously cause lots of damage if used improperly I want to make sure I have a good understanding prior to using it.
Are there any other TM articles that are more detailed in winch operation/components?

I couldnt find anything on the clutch lever on the winch as to what its for, I just know its supposed to be "IN" and you do not use it to control the winch. Any info is appreciated.

Barrman

Look in the resource section and I am pretty sure there is a winching guide. Aimed more at the M35 size, but pretty much all of the info transfers over. If not, I know there is a PS article about winch use.

fasttruck

Winch clutch control is for a dog clutch that when disengaged allows you to free spool the cable to get it out. Pto is next to transfer lever and on a m 809 if pulled up powers out the cable. If pushed down or forward of neutral, it has a low and high speed gear to pull cable in. A truck with a winch also came with a snatch block with an 8" sheave and a utility chain. Army has a tm on rigging some if which is applicable to winch work. Try to get the cable to feed directly or straight into capstan when winding in or it will jamb on one side of capstan. Snatch block can be rigged to accomplisih this. Winch is started and stopped with clutch pedal in cab and pto control. Do not use drum clutch out front to start and stopwinch. If a load must be held on the cable make sure drum brake in winch works. Have plenty of authorized shear pins 0n hand and tools to change them out. Do not use hardened bolts for shear pins.

fasttruck

Additionally drum clutch is "out" to free spool cable and "in" to wind cable in or out under power. What constitutes "in" and "out" is cast into handle which also has a lock to hold it "out" to prevent accidental engagement. Recommend winding cable up and leaving clutch "out" and drum lock "in" when traveling to prevent accidental engagement of pto in cab from causing drum to turn while driving. Drum lock must be disengaged to move capstan and it is a poppet lock or pin on the driver's side of the winch. If it has not been lubricated lately it will be stuck and will require a liberal application of oil to render it functional.

CMSGT

Look in the resource section and I am pretty sure there is a winching guide. Aimed more at the M35 size, but pretty much all of the info transfers over. If not, I know there is a PS article about winch use.
OK I thought and thought about what a PS article is and I finally give up and will ask......whats a PS article?

Engine5

I have to add this, DO NOT run the winch from outside the vehicle with no one inside the cab or the truck properly secured. Bad things can happen, don't ask how I know this but it can. It is safer to do it the right way the first time. I read it so many times on this site, but thought I knew better..... WRRROOONGGG. :deadhorse:

CMSGT

I have to add this, DO NOT run the winch from outside the vehicle with no one inside the cab or the truck properly secured. Bad things can happen, don't ask how I know this but it can. It is safer to do it the right way the first time. I read it so many times on this site, but thought I knew better..... WRRROOONGGG. :deadhorse:
Yeah I read a few posts about that! I will try a small stump this weekend and see how everything goes. So far Ive never used it nor needed it, I just pulled what I wanted with the truck and a chain.

CMSGT

I finally got the belt off and a new one on. I had to use a small punch and just lightly tap one of the indentations in the pump to get it to turn but it all worked out. I appreciate all the help!