• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

winch questions

big hoss

im changing a leaky oil line so i took the winch drive shft off so i could have more room. i started the truck to seef if it was still leaking and i saw that the pto for the winch was spinning but it was in the neurtal position. i was in the cab trying to stop it from spinning but i could change to hi, low and reverse but no neutral any thoughts?

treeguy

Before I installed my pto/winch shaft the pto flange also spun while the pto was in neutral. I don't think the backlash is too tight when the pto was installed. With the drive shaft removed I was able to (kids don't try this at home) stop the spinning by touching it. Once the drive shaft was installed, it naturally doesn't spin. In my opinion your condition may be normal, UNLESS the backlash is too tight. Did you install the pto or did it come with the truck? If it came with the truck then I don't think I'd worry. I hope this helps.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's more than likely just drag on the gears inside the pto. This is normal (especially with the gear oil cold). As long as it doesn't turn with the shaft hooked up you should be ok.

big hoss

yes the truck came with a winch, it never has spun with the shaft hooked up thank you for answering my question.

davey8943

big hoss,

I completely agree with m16ty and treeguy.

I completely tore apart my PTO before I hung it on the transmission. The needle bearings and roller bearings looked to be in serviceable condition.

Before I hooked up the driveshaft, I ran it through the all the gears. Just like you found, the output shaft on the PTO rotated (forward direction IIRC). I reached up and could stop it with minimal hand pressure.

m16ty hit it right on the head with the cold gear oil explanation.

Bottom line, mine acted exactly like you described, and it functioned flawlessly for more than one recovery at Haspin this year!

Good luck with the fuel leak!

Dave

I had something of a similar problem this weekend after pulling down a tree for my GF's Dad. I was sure I had put the cab control into neutral, taking the winch off line completely. I had my GF's son verify that the winch was not spooling in.

When I took off to get the truck outta the yard, it went about 10 feet and then I could tell the winch was pulling against itself. The truck slowed down for a moment like the engine was starting to bog, and then everything went back to normal. I knew immediately what it was, but I just couldn't believe that I had not taken the cab control out of gear.

Luckily, it only sheared the pin. When I got home, I replaced it and all was well.

I'm still kinda wondering about it. I do think the stop plate might have too much play in it.

LC

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had something of a similar problem this weekend after pulling down a tree for my GF's Dad. I was sure I had put the cab control into neutral, taking the winch off line completely. I had my GF's son verify that the winch was not spooling in.

When I took off to get the truck outta the yard, it went about 10 feet and then I could tell the winch was pulling against itself. The truck slowed down for a moment like the engine was starting to bog, and then everything went back to normal. I knew immediately what it was, but I just couldn't believe that I had not taken the cab control out of gear.

Luckily, it only sheared the pin. When I got home, I replaced it and all was well.

I'm still kinda wondering about it. I do think the stop plate might have too much play in it.

LC
Sounds like you accidentally knocked the lever back in.

You should always keep the winch clutch lever (on the winch itself) in the disengaged position and the drum lock in when not in use. The way if for some reason your pto gets put into gear you won't break things.

Good idea. I will put that on my checklist. I thought I had verified that the clutch lever was disengaged, but it's possible I missed it.

I'm still learning!

LC

Sounds like you accidentally knocked the lever back in.

You should always keep the winch clutch lever (on the winch itself) in the disengaged position and the drum lock in when not in use. The way if for some reason your pto gets put into gear you won't break things.

91W350

Mine spins cold with shaft in place. I can stop it with my hand and it is slow enough not to be felt in the cab, unlike the vibration and hum it makes while engaged. Glen

treeguy

In your case, 91W350, I wonder if the gearheads on here might say that your pto back lash is too tight. Just a thought but it sounds like the gears are turning with more force than the drive shaft friction (winch internal gears) can stop. Also the (drive shaft friction), you are probably spinning the worm gear, main gear, and winch drum shaft all the time if you say the drive shaft is always turning. You could probably stop it by engaging the winch clutch handle, but I wouldn't recomend doing that, if the pto is bumped then she could fully engage and cause a mishap. I would try to make this stop, I wonder if the shaft was removed if the flange on the pto would be spinning faster and harder.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In your case, 91W350, I wonder if the gearheads on here might say that your pto back lash is too tight. Just a thought but it sounds like the gears are turning with more force than the drive shaft friction (winch internal gears) can stop. Also the (drive shaft friction), you are probably spinning the worm gear, main gear, and winch drum shaft all the time if you say the drive shaft is always turning. You could probably stop it by engaging the winch clutch handle, but I wouldn't recomend doing that, if the pto is bumped then she could fully engage and cause a mishap. I would try to make this stop, I wonder if the shaft was removed if the flange on the pto would be spinning faster and harder.
Not likely. The backlash has nothing to do with the winch spinning when disengaged. The PTO gear that meshes the trans gear doesn't have anything to do with the shifting. It is engaged all the time and the shifting is done inside the PTO.

A backlash problem would make a roar all the time and there could also be a vibration.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
My 819 is missing the winch driveshaft, the pto output can spin if I spin it by hand with things shut down, with the engine running the output spins. I have seen this in most pto. without anything attached to the output. just like a the output of a trans in nutural with nothing attached will spin with the engine running.