• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch Shear Pin Fabrication

tbrenner

Being a machinist and working with aluminum for the past eight years I have never heard of "off hardness". As for 6061, that would be a "grade" or "alloy" of aluminum. Any aluminum you buy is an alloy of some sort, 6061 being one of the most popular. There are alot of grades all designed for a certian purpose and what they are all for I'm not sure with looking it up. I have a M35a2 w/w coming as soon as my EUC clears so I will be looking into this more.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not a machinist as you can see by the term I used. Luckily most everybody figured out what I was trying to say. I stand corrected, the shear pins are of a different "grade". From a laymans point of view, the military pins resist shearing to a greater degree then the ones friends and members have made in the past. Several folks have even called Garwood trying to get the specific grade but yielded negative results.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I hate to sound careless but the shear pin on the duece shears way before the limits of the cable or winch are reached. I have confidence in the stain being shown on the rig when the operation is being conducted. I consider it a real danger to have the pin shear when I am winching since it make the operation stop mid stream. I have only broken one and that is when my son used the winch to pull out a tree and he did not use any snatch blocks and was too close to the tree. I think that paying out most of the cable and using as many snatch blocks as required for the distance keeps the winch in limits and gets most anything winched out. Milemarker will send you a free DVD showing a comparison of winches and how they perform up to their limit it is a very good freebie and can be found at:
http://www.milemarker.com/video.html

I have been winching since my teenage years starting with an old Ramsey capstan on my CJ3B that ran off of the crankshaft. I wish I could find another one of those, it was so cool wiching with a thick rope.

Katch1

its not only in the alloying of the aluminum that counts, its the level of heat-treat, such as 6061 t6, t6 being the heat treat number. There is a large can of worms to be opened if you don't know exactly the material you are working with.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks