• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch swap

M1075

Welcome to Steel Soldiers. Several people have added winches. Cruise around the site some and try the search function for details.

Barrman

It is basically a bolt on deal. You need a winch, pto, pto shaft, pto lever, the 4 frame extensions and some longer bolts. The bumper just gets flipped over.

DanMartin

You'll also need some smaller parts...PTO gasket, PTO studs (if you didn't get the ones off the original truck it was removed from. Length is critical here, so get the right ones), the small hinged door on the floor that holds the PTO handle (there is a knock-out on the floor where the handle comes up), new trans fluid, shearpins (yes, you need pins, do not use a bolt!), and of course various fasteners to make it all work (I ended up replacing as much as I could during my swap effort).

One thing...there are 4 1/2" and 2 5/8" bolts that are 12" long and grade 8 used to hold the bumper to the frame extensions. These are almost always messed up/bent/rusty/junk. I ended up having to custom order these as they are not easily stocked. The rest of the fasteners and bolts are all standard grade-8 stuff you can get at any Ace Hardware or NAPA.

While the winch and PTO off of the truck, it's a good time to replace the seals in both. ODIron sells kits for both, and they are complete and reasonably priced. Remember that you will have to take the winch *off* or the PTO *out* to replace leaky seals later, which is a pain considering the seal kits are cheap.

Optionally you may want to consider a swap of the cable and cable-end as they get beat-up with use over the years, and are out in the weather. There is a thread currently from 54Reo on getting a group buy together for the winch cable-ends. There is also a good thread about which type of wire rope (cable) to use if you decide to go this way.

Rounding things out you'll want to get a few stickers/data plates from Saturn or Rick Larsen (MilitaryStencils.com) to complete your installation and make it perfect.

Do read and understand the -10 TM around winch operation and maint, as you or others can easily be killed by this beast if you get in a bad situation and don't know what to do.

Hope that helps Allen!

DanMartin

RE: Re: RE: Winch swap

Coming from you gringeltaube, that is a big compliment! (for those who don't know, this guy is *the man* when it comes to wheels/tires/brakes, including creation of publishable-quality visual aids).

I should have taken pictures and put up an article when I did the swap, but I get interrupted with my work a lot, so this 1-2 day job took me several weeks to finish, so I sort of bailed on the idea. However, things like the length of the studs on the PTO, the PTO gasket, and the 12" bolts for the bumper were things that slowed me down a bit, and should be noted when getting in to this (have them ready and this is like a 1-2 day job if you have a friend to help lift the heavy stuff).

mcmullag

winches

I heard one thing to do is to get the winch]s driveshaft kinda laying in place before you drop in the winch.

who is gringletaube? is he the man behind the curtain? this entity's answers alway amaze me by the depth of knowledge. Also impressed by doghead's info and tell ya where you can find it on the site.

Amazaing site. Keep up the good works folks.

glen

MoAllen

RE: winches

Thanks alot , to bad the truck I really want does not have a winch. You guys are great, a great site for a old retired master sergeant. I was in Ordanance but did not turn wrenchs.Ist cav in armor before that. I guess I should have.
Allen

jimmcld

RE: winches

We were just given a winch for our deuce but we don't have any of the parts needed to go with it. Where could we go to find all the needed parts?

Jim McLeod
Vietnam Veterans of America
Denton, Texas