• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winches for loading

Big Z

Well the last auction I bid on for a wo/w GL running truck went past my max bid. Thinkin I might just bid on a non-runner next time one shows up sorta close...anybody here use a manual winch to run the truck onto a trailer? What kind? Reason I'm asking is I don't wanna buy an electric one if I don't have to. I wouldn't ever use it anyways.

jamesfrom180

Appropriate block and long cable. Use a lever chain hoist if you really have to. Cable come-along will just be too much hassle. Look around I imagine unless you have access to the appropriate rigging it would be cheaper to pay some one.

Oh yeah, have alot of fun. Good luck and take alot of Pictures.:D

abh3

I've got an 8k Warn on my gooseneck trailer, hook a battery to it and it'll suck a deuce or other fairly big vehicle right up on it. Easily the best trailer mod I've ever done, had the 30 year old 'upright' style winch lying around so I was only out the fab time...

That being said, I've loaded plenty 'cave-man style' with two come-alongs and some chain. Put the chain on the vehicle, pull with one come-along and then with the other when that that one is out of cable. The trick is to be safe about this, CHOCK THE WHEELS as you go because if you fumble around and the ratchets on these crappy 'hecho en chine' come-alongs they sell now slip you could do some damage with a big truck rolling back off the trailer, usually into/over the most expensive thing in the area if you have my luck!!

Hint: bring a tough friend that enjoys a workout, some gloves and a cooler full of hydrating beverages...

BigRig379

This does require two people but it does work I could possibly do a video if everyone's that interested. I back my trailer against the dead vehicle. unhook my trailer turnaround with my nose facing the fronend. run about 3 chans from the dead vehicle to my truck. and just pull it on the trailer. if that makes sence I'm not the greatest at explaning.

robert c neth

Banned
i did the come along thing once i now have a winch on the trailer ,the back of my tow rig and the front of my toy rig .recoveries sometimes have problems and its best to not be tired out using comealongs.

abh3

Because the most expensive but easily breakable thing on a trailer, regardless of size, is the landing gear. Start pushing/pulling vehicles up on unhooked trailers and you are begging to fold up the landing gear, jack, whatever. THEN you have a problem with the broken gear hanging down so you can't move the trailer, GL guy having kittens because he wants to get back in the A/C, etc... :-(

scoutmanadam

i pulled my uncles onto a flatbed trailer with a ancient looking block and tackle with a good rope. just hooked one side of pulleys to the trailer, and the other to the bumper, then tied off the pull rope to the bumper of my wife's car and up it went, smooth and safe. you have to love mechanical advantage

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can come-a-long a truck onto a trailer but it's very hard work. I bought a 8K winch from Harbor Freight and put it on a portable mount that can attach to darn near anything. Some of the best money I ever spent. Pushing that button and watching the truck crawl onto the trailer is priceless after you come-a-long a few up there.

Some people don't mind getting GL to push the vehicle on their trailer. I've seen the GL forklift operators in action and I'll pass. I once come-a-longed a CUCV onto a trailer in the Alabama heat all the while a GL forklift operator was begging to push it on for us. I said "no thanks, you've already done enough damage to the truck".

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chain hoists work okay for pulling something up on trailers. I've just found that a lot of times it's tedious because they tend to jam when used horizontally because the chain won't feed right. If you have a helper to keep the slack out it feeds okay.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can "Come-Along" a dead vehicle onto your trailer. I grew up that way. That's all we had. There is nothing wrong with it. Might not be too glamorous, but it surely works, and helps control a minimum budget. Staying on your budget is real important! Good Luck! I like to see more budget minded folks.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can "Come-Along" a dead vehicle onto your trailer. I grew up that way. That's all we had. There is nothing wrong with it. Might not be too glamorous, but it surely works, and helps control a minimum budget. Staying on your budget is real important! Good Luck! I like to see more budget minded folks.
A come along is okay for maybe a Hummer, CUCV or trailer. Most have a max. of 1 or 2 tons, so I'd be leary of using it for a duece or larger truck unless I was loading from a dock or something without much of an incline.

jamesfrom180

Don't use a chain fall. It was not designed for that, use a lever chain hoist. Also please look up proper rigging techniques there is more than enough info here. We want everyone to be safe and keep their limbs and favorite appendages.
:beer:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A two ton "Come Along " is adequate. All you have to do is move it- assuming its not stuck in the mud. You don't have to lift it. Also, I have a good one.... There are the cheap ones too. The issue is to Geter-done. Do what you have to. That does not mean to jeopordize safety issues. There needs to be common sense. We all didn't start out having everything we need, or would like to have! I moved a whole lot of stuff when I was younger, without too much to work with.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm budget minded too. I just want a bigger budget.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks