• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winching observations.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
recently went to Mudfest in Colfax, La. It was a really great time while I was there. When people got stuck, there were more than enough folks willing to jump in with their trucks/ATV's to help pull others out.

the main thing I noticed though, was a lack of observational safety. People were standing in the line of fire, in front of vehicles and I saw one man try to get under a vehicle that was trying to back out WITHOUT alerting the driver.

During the day, I did my part to keep people safe (asking them to move out of the line of fire, directing recoveries etc.). I have been on the phone with the director of the event and volunteered the deuce and me as a recovery team during the next one (they are going to try to have it in October).

I guess the point of this post is: whether or not you are directly involved in an activity, you CAN get involved to keep someone from getting hurt or killed. Here is a great poem:

I could have saved a life that day,
But I chose to look the other way.
It wasn’t that I didn’t care,
I had the time, and I was there.
But I didn’t want to seem a fool,
Or argue over a safety rule.
I knew he’d done the job before,
If I called it wrong, he might get sore.
The chances didn’t seem that bad,
I’ve done the same, he knew I had.
So I shook my head and walked on by,
He knew the risks as well as I.
He took the chance, I closed an eye,
And with that act, I let him die.
But I chose to look the other way.
Now every time I see his wife,
I’ll know I should have saved his life.
That guilt is something I must bear,
But it isn’t something you need to share,
If you see a risk that others take,
That puts their health or life at stake.
The question asked, or thing you say,
Could help them live another day.
If you see a risk and walk away,
Then I hope you never have to say,
But I chose to look the other way

by Don Merrell