• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winching under & to the rear

rmgill

I've seen a number of vehicles that had Mid-ship winches for this sort of thing. Several British Trucks have this in fact. In theory, I suppose you could guide the rope back through a set of fairleads to the rear. You'd have to have a substantial roller under the winch to clear the engine area but otherwise, you could probably work something out.

Surplus Center has some 12,000/15,000 winch fairleads with 4 rollers for $50. With those and a substantial roller for the redirect under the truck, you could probably work something out easily. I suppose that if it was done right, you could pre-rig an extension under the truck and leave it under there. When you needed to re-direct to the rear, disconnect the chain, connect to the extension, pull the rope under the truck and run to your connection point.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When your in a pickle....... Winch backwards, but re string your line straight down from the winch. Don't go out over the bumper - that is asking for trouble. You will be desperate to do something anyway.

Lee in Alaska

[...]
But I remember seeing some kind of MV (commie?) with a centrally located winch, you could run the cable out the front or back with some manner of pulley/roller system... [...]
The old Swiss Saurer 2Dm (and later) trucks had such a system you are describing. The cable runs along the left framerail either forwards or backwards.
On the picture you can see the front exit of the cable - the winch is rated at 6to, IIRC.

Cheers,
Mark

Attachments

Nonotagain

Since you are already a hole deep, why not pull the cable off the winch, remove one mud flap and wrap the cable around the rear wheels, and pull yourself out?

I imagine that a local towing company wants a small fortune to even give it an attempt.

jimmcld

Since you are already a hole deep, why not pull the cable off the winch, remove one mud flap and wrap the cable around the rear wheels, and pull yourself out?

I imagine that a local towing company wants a small fortune to even give it an attempt.

Without lockers, wouldn't the wheel on the other side just spin?

GoHot229

When your in a pickle....... Winch backwards, but re string your line straight down from the winch. Don't go out over the bumper - that is asking for trouble. You will be desperate to do something anyway.

Lee in Alaska
Exactly, thats what I envisoned, but then with the cable rubbing the axle, I was thinking a skidplate at a shallow angle to rub/draw across to avoid the cutting action of the cable on the axle itself. As some members pointed out, "by the time your stuck, your probably to the axles so how you going to get the cable under" Well I have, and some of you have gotten into a situation where we were down-hll and lost traction to back out and just spun, you see where I'm going with this...... had we had just a scosh of back-up help we could have got out. And I'm sure other scenarios would apply.

saddamsnightmare

October 22nd, 2009.

GOHOT229:

On further thought, the Swiss Saurer system could be adapted to the deuce, but I believe that the TM-10 Operator's manual may address using the rear duals as a winch in an emergency also, if not one of the PM magazines may have covered it. In short, one attaches a towing cable though its eye to a short heavy steel bar at the mid point, you then thread the cable through one of the outboard rear duals spoke hole, and lead the cable one or two turns up, over and down through the valley created between the rear two duals. At that point you lead the cable back off the bottom of the dual and attach to a tree or the front towing shackles of another deuce to the rear. put her in low range reverse and carefully take up the slack using the clutch, and out you go backwards. If the other duals in the tandem want to slip, I imagine you could lightly load them using the service brake. If you had a dual and single pulley set up like above in the drawing, but attached to the trucks pintle and shackles, you could multiply the force and slow the extraction somewhat.
Just pick a good tree, there's a video on here somewhere of a Canadian guy getting his CCKW stuck, and winching to the WRONG tree, which he pulls outta the ground.....Oppps!

Just two more cents of depreciated insight,

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

Last edited:

mangus580

GoHot,

There is a video on the old Steel Soldier Site called "stuck deuce." It shows a guy winching his deuce out backwards. I remember seeing something where the friction did cut some of the bumper, but other than that it worked.
Yes, the bumper does suffer some.... Ask those who inspected it at Aberdeen 07

It's been my experience that by the time you need to winch backwards everything is bogged down to the point that it is impossible to get a cable under the truck
Long 2x4's help with this. If you are lucky you arent THAT far down yet....

how has this thread gone on for 8 hours without someone outing mangus and providing a link?
Yes Joel.... wheres the link???

The "somebody" would be mangus, with his video on the old site of winching out backwards.
You guys just cant leave it alone can you?

pwrwagonfire

Honestly, a better and SAFER way to do this would be to get yourself a couple snatch blocks....

One on a tree in front, going to one on the side, then hook it to your rear mud hooks.
That is the way which you should explore this...

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Honestly, a better and SAFER way to do this would be to get yourself a couple snatch blocks....

One on a tree in front, going to one on the side, then hook it to your rear mud hooks.
That is the way which you should explore this...
Hypothetically, if stuck not in mud, but off the side of a sandy slope in far west Texas where the tallest, beefiest trees wouldn't even be described as shrubbery anywhere else in the world, WHAT THE H*** would even one snatch block be able to do for you?!?!?!?
As I see it - the best way out of that dehydrated pickle would be to firmly plant your butt on the sand with your lower spine firmly pressed against the rear outter dual... then, gingerly crane your neck down between your legs and kiss your dusty A$$ goodbye, 'cause the buzzards can smell stuck Deuce three counties away!!!
2cents

aua

:soapbox:

:nothingfunny:

pwrwagonfire

Hypothetically, if stuck not in mud, but off the side of a sandy slope in far west Texas where the tallest, beefiest trees wouldn't even be described as shrubbery anywhere else in the world, WHAT THE H*** would even one snatch block be able to do for you?!?!?!?
As I see it - the best way out of that dehydrated pickle would be to firmly plant your butt on the sand with your lower spine firmly pressed against the rear outter dual... then, gingerly crane your neck down between your legs and kiss your dusty A$$ goodbye, 'cause the buzzards can smell stuck Deuce three counties away!!!
2cents

aua

:soapbox:

:nothingfunny:

Touche! :razz:

saddamsnightmare

October 22nd, 2009.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior:

Thanks for the laugh I got out of reading your comments about being stuck in West Texas.:razz:.... I always thought you western Texans used your trees for pipe cleaners, as like the rivers here in East Texas, few of them measure up to a wet f---t anywhere else!
I suspect that my wife thinks I'm nuts (I KNOW I'm nuts- more on that some other time). What we need to get made is a version of the "Watson Traction Device" made for the CCKW's in WWII.... it turned them into temporary half tracks. There is nothing sadder then a stuck deuce, and they can stick so easily. We learned the trick of winching them out with the duals in W.Va., but most of us hillbillies LOOSE the NDT/NDCC's as fast as a load of moonshine will buy something better ( Almost anything is better). I guess the guys with the wrecker deuces really have it good with the crane and that beasty rear winch.....

I'm waiting for the next salvo....

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks