• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wind! Commercial Power Out Here - I Bet I'm Not Alone

Triple Jim

There are outages all over the area. We're not predicted to get it back on until 6 PM. The 003A is running happily. How many other have lost power so far?

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The lights have blinked a few times at home but so far stayed on. I'm ready if it does go down.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Believe my wife still has power... we have power here in Western MA still. Its going to be wicked in Eastern MA tonight. Gonna hook up the 10k I am in the middle of testing (overload light in non-overload condition) when I get home so I have something at the ready (past my 25 year old Honda gas unit). SOME DAY I'll actually get some time to wrench on my own machine! :)

CapePrep

Lights still on here on Cape Cod. Wind gusts up to 77MPH here. My "new" 803 is sitting with fresh service just finished today and also re worked my connection. Hoping the power does go out so I can test the whole rig!!! Since I want it to go out, it never will.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ran the 803 for a few hours. Made the wife happy to have power. The heat pump cycled a couple times. Everything in the house operated as normal. Fuel gauge barely budged.

Back on utility now. The wind is less but still coming through at 15-20 with higher gusts. Going to keep everything connected in case it goes out again.

We were lucky that the damage was next to the interstate. That made it more of a priority.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
6pm is 5hrs from when you posted this. Why even run a generator?
Uhh, because he can???? Besides, there is no guarantee the power will come back on when they say, especially during a severe wind storm...

I don't know his situation, but I'm on a well, so I will kick mine up for even a half-hour outage, just so I can flush my toilets and be comfortable. Because I can...

Last edited:

rustystud

Uhh, because he can???? Besides, there is no guarantee the power will come back on when they say, especially during a severe wind storm...

I don't know his situation, but I'm on a well, so I will kick mine up for even a half-hour outage, just so I can flush my toilets and be comfortable. Because I can...
Totally agree. When the power goes out here they always say it will be back on in a few hours. That usually means the next day ! Since I have to sleep with a "ByPap" machine I need power.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lights flickered a few times, but we still have power. No snow either... stayed all rain where we are. Still going to be windy through the day though (moved a bunch of assets around the yard and away from trees, as driving home from work looked like a bomb zone of branches everywhere).

Power Cos have done a LOT of cutback work since the 2013 ice storm we had (lost power for 9 days).

massey

We've been without power for about 1 day now. The 002 carried us yesterday and I just fired her up again this morning, gotta love that little unit.

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ran Strong 28hrs

Ran 28hrs continuous from 11pm 2-1 to 2:30am 2-3 no problems, had 3 other families join us. What a pleasure to be able to hook up and run 15 minuets after power failure. You guys make me look like I know what I'm doing, so as always thanks for all the help, this was my first extended outage since acquiring this 002 in 2009!!!!!!!!!! :Dpowerout2-18.JPGpowerout2-18-2.JPG

dmetalmiki

Our power went off for a few hours, and my standby ex army 7KW twin cylinder electric start (Auto on - off when the power goes off - on) kicked in perfectly, I hardly noticed the change over.
Now it is thawing nicely here in south east U.K. and the roads are getting passable again.

rustystud

Ran 28hrs continuous from 11pm 2-1 to 2:30am 2-3 no problems, had 3 other families join us. What a pleasure to be able to hook up and run 15 minuets after power failure. You guys make me look like I know what I'm doing, so as always thanks for all the help, this was my first extended outage since acquiring this 002 in 2009!!!!!!!!!! :DView attachment 720523View attachment 720524

Now when your wife complains about your "silly" military hobby, you can remind her of this last storm and power outage !
You can start by saying " wasn't that nice that we had that military generator to provide power during that storm in 2018" .
"It's a good thing I collect quality military stuff isn't it Honey" . What can she say about that ?

quickfarms

My wife questioned the light tower until the power went out and I ran the house off of it.

Now she tells her friends the light tower was her idea

Last edited:

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You're so right!!! 39 years married and finally I was right!!!! And it only took 10 years waiting for a sustained outage! The short little ones it was me showing off hooking it up or just exercising it!! Never thought I'd be so happy to loose power!!!

Now when your wife complains about your "silly" military hobby, you can remind her of this last storm and power outage !
You can start by saying " wasn't that nice that we had that military generator to provide power during that storm in 2018" .
"It's a good thing I collect quality military stuff isn't it Honey" . What can she say about that ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks