• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Window treatments

ramdough

All,

I started this thread a bit generic because I think it may cover topics over time.

I am interested in putting ceramic film on the inside of the class to help with heat….. but, I am modifying my defroster deflector like [mention]Keith Knight [/mention]

Anyone have any experience dealing with the ceramic films on a windshield and defrosting? Would heating elements help?

Also, contemplating exterior security films. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Doug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All,

I started this thread a bit generic because I think it may cover topics over time.

I am interested in putting ceramic film on the inside of the class to help with heat….. but, I am modifying my defroster deflector like [mention]Keith Knight [/mention]

Anyone have any experience dealing with the ceramic films on a windshield and defrosting? Would heating elements help?

Also, contemplating exterior security films. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Doug

You can use an @ symbol to mention... @Keith Knight

I don't have any experience with the films. I don't think I would want to install film... it doesn't seem like window tint film has ever been pretty, or come off easily, after a few years.

The biggest issues I've had inside cab hasn't been frosting, but condensation. That day that I was out in the big blizzard, there was so much condensation in the cab that it was literally raining down off the ceiling. It may have been from me getting in and out so many times over the course of many hours, all wet with snow. I had to spray the windows with anti-fog spray to keep them from being totally fogged up.

Third From Texas

I'm having mine tinted, but down hear in S TX it's hot year round (was in the upper 80's yesterday Jan 2nd). Be sure to check with your state and local laws about having it on the front windshield (some states restrict what can be put on the windshield and front door windows).

That said, it really helps. A reputable installer (pick on that's been in business for years) with a good warranty is worth the price, IMO.

ymmv

ramdough

I installed ceramic 30% tint solely to insulate from heat:
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b5005118130/

If you want to try to DIY, all the side windows are flat and so no pre-forming with a heat gun is required. The windshield has a curve but only in 1-axis so the tint still doesn't need any shrinking.
Yeah, that was what I was thinking too. I probably will do less tint on the front as I think the law requires readings taken after application, so the glass adds to the tint number. I am not sure about where you are from.

I also wanted to try it myself as I hate paying people to do anything. If you try it yourself, let me know how it goes.

ramdough

I was considering putting a heat trace wire where the wipers park. You can buy kits for semi trucks. Would that need to be under the tint ? I assume so, but I am not sure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks