• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Windshield adhesive / sealant

Ddk2001

I'm reinstalling my windshields today - and am wondering what type of adhesive to use between the rubber windshield gasket and metal window frame. Is it just RTV?

i know standard windshield installs call for urethane (glass-to-metal) - but here it's not adhering to glass - just the rubber gasket to metal.

The TM says Sealant per Item 38 in Appendix C - but I can't find the appendix.

Thx
-D

Last edited:

Ddk2001

It's TM 2320-280-20-3.

You can't apply sealant to the "glass" and the metal frame because the window goes in a rubber gasket. All I'm really trying to figure out is what to use. Just RTV?

DainGerous

Think you mean marine sealant (on Amazon) rather than RTV. Have seen rebuild guys put a bead of sealant on edge of frame and then put the windshield in. Doesn't seem that AMG put any sealant at factory though. Also, once it gets dusty enough, seems to seal itself.

[h=1]3M Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200 Black, 06504, 1/10 gal[/h]

dilvoy

I use paintable caulking as would be used on a house, but I get brown or black/grey whatever is available at the time. It is easy to scrape off and again it is paintable so if it squeezed out and shows and you can't wipe it away, you can paint that area. I put a small bead in the gasket then install over the windshield and make sure to seat the gasket so it is tight around the glass, then run a bead where the windshield will push against the windshield frame and then install the retainers. It has worked well and no water comes from there anyway.

Bill W

Go on to E-bay and do a search for "CRL Sealant" and take your pick.
I myself used CRL 877 to seal my windshield to metal frame on my deuce ( 7 yrs ago ) but CRL 7708 might be exactly what your looking for.

art

I found the Appendix C In the back of the last volume #3
Page C6 Item 38 8-1/2 Ounce Tube
SEALING COMPOUND(05972) 51831
image.jpg

Ddk2001

I found the Appendix C In the back of the last volume #3
Page C6 Item 38 8-1/2 Ounce Tube
SEALING COMPOUND(05972) 51831

Item 38 - SEALANT: silicone, RTV

That's what I expected - and what I used yesterday. Thanks for tracking this down and posting.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks