• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Windshield Channel/track repair or Replacement

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I have done a fair bit of searching and reading but have been unable to find any info on the repair or a suitable replacement for the soft top windshield channel.

Found quite a few threads on the repair of the plastic strip that slips into the channel.

The attached TM exploded view didn't list an NSN for the channel.
Is the channel a permanent part of the windshield frame.
I wanted to find the parts before dis-assembly, so the truck doesn't risk sitting out in the weather without a top.

Has anyone found a suitable replacement, maybe a piece of extruded aluminum channel from a boat or camper application?

Thanx.

Attachments

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a recent (Oct or Nov) post about repairing the soft tops. Try searching for soft top repair. Someone used a piece of vinyl siding as a replacement. I have used JB Weld to reattach the soft top to the original plastic and has held very well.

Vaughjw

Did you ever find a replacement for the metal windshield channel?

My channel has been ripped off the windshield frame. I'm trying to find a new one to weld on.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you actually have one, just weld it back on. If you need one and know the dimensions (or are good a gestimating) talk to someone with a metal brake. Have them make one 18 to 24 inches long and test it out for fitment. If it needs tweaking, do it, then try again. If it fits, have more pieces made till you have the full length. Using smaller metal brakes will be cheaper than trying to get it all in one piece.

Akicita

Vaughjw,
I was at Ken Kublo's place in Brackney. He has a huge inventory of parts. He posts to this group every once in a while but it would be faster if you called him directly. You can google his address and phone number. He put a new roof on my M35 (replacing hardtop with soft top) and I haven't had any trouble with it at all.

Vaughjw

For anyone else reading this to make that channel you need a die to get the radius correct.

I think I may have found one on a Cadillac Duece in NM

Jeepsinker

That channel is spot welded on. It'll be much easier and more efficient for you to just replace the whole windshield frame. They are cheap and plentiful.