• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Windshield/Dash Fan for the HMMWV

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Driving yesterday I got caught in a rain storm, no big deal got a little wet. But I had to pull over due to the fogging on the inside of the glass. The fan, on high, didn't have enough airflow to keep the window clear.. (ended up clearing the window with my hand until I got somewhere I could buy some paper towels.)

I'd like to avoid this in the future, was talking to someone who was in the Army in the late 90's. They said their unit had installed dash fans from either a bus or the larger trucks (2 1/2 ton/5 ton) that they got from the motor pool and that gave them additional air flow when driving normally, as well as the ability to point it at the windshield if it started fogging up.

Does anyone have any pointers to a decent military, 24V fan and how to go about installing it? (Wiring is the one that I'm not concerned with, she said they just piggy backed off of the wiper motor circuit.)

Thanks!

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've used my milwaukee 18V work fan a few times, but mostly now use the Red Dot aircon aimed forward at the windshield to keep them clear.

Federal Military Parts has some 24V fans in various colors for the HMMWV, or if you don't mind chrome that one is half the price

Green

Chrome

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Federal is out of the box with pricing as they just resell other's products........

Fans like this are standard in Construction equipment and trucking that is 24V. Go to a real NAPA or truck pro or real hd store and they can fix you up with 24v dash fans in black or chrome.
Should also be all over epay or amazon as most non US countries construction equipment is 24v.

I would suggest a simple seperate circuit with toggle switch and in line fuse. Some come with a switch on them. Easy to run under floor mat and feed from battery box. I would not mess with wiper motor circuit, YMMV

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I second what juanprado said, those contacts in the windshield frame cause enough problems without adding more current to them, shame on Federal for even suggesting it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks