• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Windshield Safety Glass Stencils

Major Asstyrd

Does anyone have a jeep with non-Ford safety glass manufacturer etched stencils? I'd like to know the width of an original, and width of reproductions if you know they are and know the vendor selling them.

The one I am interested in has this info on three lines:

HI-TEST SAFETY
AS WS (LOF LOGO) 6-43 (or some other date)
PLATE

LOF logo is an outline of a shield with LOF inside it. Stands for Libby Owens Ford, a glass manufacturer. I am not asking about the Ford-made glass and their stencil.

Reason for question is I want to know if any vendors offer stencils in the correct size. I have had people tell me they have widths of from 1 1/4 , 1 11/16, and 2 inch.

Major Asstyrd

Are you looking for something like this? I made these a few years back based on original Chevy G506 glass etchings.
View attachment 877841

View attachment 877842
Yes. It's like what I put in my post. The couple of stencils I have seen for sale use the same font as your drawing but are more bold. Heavier, like the one in your photo. Did you make that one or is that the original? What was the width of the top line of the original and is yours the same?

I am assuming LOF used only one size. That might be incorrect but it's logical. If so, some of the vendors who have made these did them wrong. If this research points toward originals from the 1940s being a certain size, those vendors can choose to correct their image going forward. I am looking for a pair for one of my jeeps and am also hoping to improve what's available.

WW2Chevy

The second picture is of windshield glass etched using one of my stencils. I really don't follow what jeep vendors do or don't do. The stencil research and project was pretty tightly focused on G506 glass, as thats what I have. You can see that the graphic elements are arranged a litle differently depending whether the glass is windshield PLATE or side and rear window SHEET. All have been scaled using photos of original glass.

Attachments

Last edited:

Major Asstyrd

I just bought some from Scott Watson at Military Vehicle Stencils. He has them for the MB and you pick your month and year. Only $15 for three (one to practice with on a piece of glass). Fast delivery, nice instructions and a cool template for placing them properly. At least I assume it's proper. I will tackle this job in a week or two. Scott's site is https://www.militaryvehiclestencils.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks