• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Windshield Washer Pump

NPD732

On the 85 and up civi vehicles, GM changed the washer system over to an electric pump in the washer bottle. I swapped the wiper motor and bottle over to my m1031. Looks factory and works great.

lindyp38

i blew out the line.....there was blockage.....in the tube from the bottle to the motor.......

should i take apart the motor...maybe its clogged up....?

thanks

usmcvet130621

my pump also doesn't work, no noise from what i can hear, the wipers work but seem slow but that may be how they are? i still can't find a pump that will fit, i just looked on lmc but i don't feel like paying $100 for one, any part numbers on napa or other part stores like autozone?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do not cross post(post the same thing) in multiple threads. This is againt the rules.

Keith_J

I had this problem..quite easy to fix. If the wipers work, the motor works. Same motor. Pull the two connectors to the upper part of the wiper motor, these are the washer solenoid and parking sensor. There are tabs on these connectors, pay attention. Now the plastic cover over the washer section can pop off, it is thin, black plastic. See if the solenoid for the washer function operates, have a helper actuate the washer switch. The solenoid should pull the chrome lever which engages the cam, providing for 4-5 spurts. If not, check for resistance in the solenoid, should be 15-40 ohms by my best guess.

My problem was dirt and hardened grease. The washer worked after manual actuation, just pushing on the chrome lever.

jpg

I had this problem..quite easy to fix. If the wipers work, the motor works. Same motor. Pull the two connectors to the upper part of the wiper motor, these are the washer solenoid and parking sensor. There are tabs on these connectors, pay attention. Now the plastic cover over the washer section can pop off, it is thin, black plastic. See if the solenoid for the washer function operates, have a helper actuate the washer switch. The solenoid should pull the chrome lever which engages the cam, providing for 4-5 spurts. If not, check for resistance in the solenoid, should be 15-40 ohms by my best guess.

My problem was dirt and hardened grease. The washer worked after manual actuation, just pushing on the chrome lever.
My washer quit, so I tried the above. No luck. I replaced the wiper/washer with a reman from AZ. No luck. I disconnected the output hoses, so I'd see fluid squirt from the pump if it worked. It didn't. I pulled the input hose and lowered the end to check that washer fluid flowed freely. It did. I have 12v to the small connector always, and to the large connector when the washer switch is on. I took a video with the cover off. Perhaps someone can tell me what's wrong? My OE and my reman do the same thing. I suppose this could be a bad reman, but it seems more likely that it's my fault...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SS-11bTM34&feature=youtu.be

You can see the chrome arm lift when I press the switch, so the solenoid is working... You can also see nothing coming out of the pump. Do I take it back and get another reman?

cucvrus

Quick thought. Is the suction hose free and clear? And also if it is try priming the pump with a child's medicine syringe and some washer fluid. See if that works. I take it from the video someone was inside repeatedly operating the wash mode of the wipers. Report back and make sure you have clean fluid.

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And above all, is the small strainer/filter in the fluid container clean.
I had the same problem.
The washer Fluid was about 11/2 years in the container, was flaky and slimy.
The strainer on the suction hose was totally blocked.
Everything thoroughly cleaned (container, strainer and the hose ) ...... that's it.

jpg

I flushed the hoses and tank. Fluid is fresh. I have no filter. When I unplug the input hose from the pump and lower it to a level below the tank, fresh fluid flows freely from the hose. I disconnected the output tubes, in case they are blocked. My problem is the pump. I will try priming it tonight, but that's not supposed to be necessary.

cucvrus

but that's not supposed to be necessary.
I agree. I am trying to help with any solution i can think of and what has worked in the past for me. Do you have suction at the pump. And is it possible the suction hose has a crack in it somewhere? Do you have a vacuum to check that? Your mouth will work.

cucvrus

I did not want to end that post that way. But wanted to say I had cracked lines and they robbed the siphon from the pump. It is possible that it is not getting any suction at the washer jar? A bad pump is possible but I see your point why is it the same symptoms? Check back. i meant no harm in my last post. I siphon by mouth if needed on vehicles.

jpg

I did siphon by mouth. Tasted lovely. There's a reason my nickname is not "Grace".

I blew and sucked on the hose. I could detect no leaks. The fluid flowed freely.

It rained on the drive home today. Since I had the wipers going anyway, I tried the washer a few times. It worked! I had 4 vigorous washer streams! I was thinking maybe it had just been a priming problem. Then it wouldn't stop. I must have gone through half a gallon of washer fluid before I got it to shut off. The whole time I could hear "Listen to the Mockingbird" playing in the background...

Extra points if you knew the tune before clicking the link.

This is sounding like I bought a bad reman. Time to drill out the rivet again and get another...

jpg

AZ screwed up my order again. The washer pump doesn't work on the reman I bought from them. Something's wrong with the clockwork used to drive the pump from the windshield wiper motor. Apparently the pump never did stop, it just ran the washer fluid tank dry. The guy promised to have a replacement for me "at the butt crack of dawn" the next day. That was a week ago...

I thought of the story an old P3 Maintenance Chief told me. He kept an extensive library of hydraulic seals, to keep his squadron flying. He set records for aircraft availability, and that library served a major role in his success. Sometimes they wouldn't ship him the seals he wanted. They'd say, "order next larger part". So he'd order that part, remove the seals he needed for his library, and return the part marked "defective seals".

God knows when AZ will get me my replacement, so I took a shot. I disassembled the pumps on my original and my AZ wipers, and swapped all the rubber parts. Success! Now I have my original wiper motor, with new rubber parts in the washer pump, and it works great.

We have to savor the small successes in life.

In the photos below, you can see the seals and clockwork of my original wiper motor, and the clockwork of both the original and reman side by side. Sorry about the focus. I was trying not to get grease on the camera.

DSCF2960.jpgDSCF2961.jpgDSCF2962.jpgDSCF2963.jpgDSCF2964.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks