• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Windshield Wiper Housing Dripping Wet

Akicita

I did my spring maintenance on the Deuce today and then took her out for a spin. I kept getting hit by water drops from the driver's side wiper housing. I have air activated wipers. When I tilted the window up, some milky juice was really dripping fast out of the wiper housing. I also noticed that that wiper doesn't work as fast as the other one.

We had a lot of rain this spring, which explains where the water comes from. I usually don't drive in the rain but the truck is parked outside.

I let the water run out, of course, but I did not see an obvious point of entry.
Any ideas ?

Attachments

treeguy

It sounds like water/moisture in your air system has made it up into the wiper cylinder. The white milky liquid is what you will get when oil is mixed with water. That liquid is very commonly found when you drain compressor tanks. The water forms from condensation and mixes with oil from the compressor. If your truck sat for a while than you probably had moisture/condensation build up in the air tanks. If you didn't drain the air tanks I guess it is possible for the liquid to make it up to the wiper cylinder. Because the liquid is comming out of it, it sounds like the cylinder leaks, also the reason that one moves slower than the other. Because there is an air leak in that cylinder.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How often are you draining your air tanks?

Akicita

I open the tanks every day I drive the truck EXCEPT when it rains and the ground is wet. My arms aren't long enough to reach the petcocks without getting under the truck. I usually don't drive in the rain but there have been exceptions.
By the way, one tank never blows any water out but the other one often (not always) does.

Attachments

Flyingvan911

Mine does the same thing. The tank toward the driver's side doesn't usually have much moisture. The inside tank gets more moisture. I leave my drains open when the truck is parked. I also drain them after the pressure is up after starting and if I was on a long trip, at every fuel stop.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Get some of the spring loaded tank drains, much easier to use. The one tank that the air dumps into is the "wet" tank. That is where most of the moisture in the compressed air falls out because it cools when it expands into the larger tank. You should drain your tanks as often as possible. Moisture from the air system will cause "issues" with you air pack and windshield wipers.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One other common source for water to get you wet when driving is, the bottom windshield frame channel. It holds water that gets past the seal/mounting rubber, and wind blows through the frame causing the water to get on you.

(Because the liquid is comming out of it, it sounds like the cylinder leaks, also the reason that one moves slower than the other. Because there is an air leak in that cylinder.)

The wiper motor has an exhaust port on it. a little tube off the end.

If you put your finger over it you can feel air come out.

That would be where the water comes out. It is the water that slows it down as it creates a resistance at the valve