• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winning the battle on air leaks M35a2

Dieselfitter

1969 truck , truck is in good shape but had air leaks evrywhere , built good air but when you shut truck off i could hear leaks. Certain things drive me batty ,leaks are very high on the list .
compression joints arent really the best option for air tite service in a high vibration climate .
changing the truck over to a flare type fitting would be more time and difficulty than its worth looking at where some of those connections are , and the components that need to be connected .
So tighten all the copper compression and re dope NPT joints . All good , except,
the 2 leaks i found under the dash were on the 2 rubber flex hoses that run from a header block on firewall to air gauge in cluster , the other ran to transfer case air shift.
both hoses are 1/4” male NPT at block and a swivel 1/8” type thread on both gauge and shift selector . 1/8” npt looks like the right thread pitch per inch and fits tight but its not tapered.
Does anyone know what connection type that is called ?

I tested this with a 1/8” female npt thread it runs right on and tightens against the taper , i applied a pipe dope that we use in the trade of steamfitting , i didnt over tighten in that i didnt want to stretch the treads on gauge or shifter , making the components useless.
i let the truck build air and no leaks. 1/8” npt is an option i guess but would rather find the perfect match to that fitting .

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It has been a while but I recall the ends on my air hose to the gauge being the reusable kind (unscrew with two wrenches). Pretty sure I reused them on new hose.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks