• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winter front alternative

Smokinyoda

Let me start by saying I cant stand the look of the OEM winter fronts for our trucks, but at the same time I definately see the need for something to restrict the air flow to the radiator.

I have been using a piece of plywood I painted black, and it is not very noticeable. Problem is its all or nothing, no adjustment at all.

I have been trying to find some adjustable metal shutters similiar to whats used on generators and the old half tracks, that I could adapt to work on the deuce.

Then it hit me.... Aluminum Mini Blinds !!!rofl

Sounds crazy I know but I think it would work. Found a set thats 23" wide for only $7, gonna spray paint them black and try them out. They will fit behind the grill, right next to the radiator. That way I can use them like shutters, or just pull em all the way up. In the down position I think the suction from the fan would keep them from blowing around while driving down the road, just need to rig a top mount.

So what do you all think?

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use a pizza box lid. works great, cut it the right width, it will stay in all winter. I cover about 2/3rds of it

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
not sure how much faster, but it does help when it's below freezing. alot

powerhouseduece

I have a winter front, I just dont use it cause it makes the headlights seem dim. Cardboard beer box all the way!

This post is brought to you buy Budwiser, King of beers. (tm)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The fan pulls a lot of air, I doubt the blinds will last long and you certainly will not move them with the truck running.

cornrichard

A friend of mine in the trucking industry told me that cardboard right on the front of the radiator could walk the bearing out of the water pump. I was going out to cut wood yesterday and I wanted some heat in the truck. This is what I came up with. When the engine is running it pulls tight against the brush guard. Heater works much better. Truck looks a little backwards.

Attachments

tm america

I use a pizza box lid. works great, cut it the right width, it will stay in all winter. I cover about 2/3rds of it
i did the same thing looked like a papa johns ad.....but worked nicely...I would be leary about using the blinds as they would move alot with the winds and such..This could cause them to wear holes in the radiator...If you go with that just make sure you have some strips of wood between the rad and the the mini blinds

Armada

If you hang your cut-off jeans on your truck grill so it will run warmer in the winter....... youuuuuu might be a redneck. LOL! rofl Sorry, couldn't resist.

Seriously, if it works, use it.

cornrichard

It was a 5 minute fix and works great. I know how redneck it looks. I thought it was too funny to keep to myself. Laugh at my expense. With my stock heater and 24 volt maradyne heater under the passenger seat I stay toasty if I can get water temp. over 160 deg. I had the cab over 65 deg and no fog on the windows last winter in 4 below at 50 mph. I could probably get it warmer but in winter gear I was cracking the rear slider to let in a little cool air.

wikallen

I like the look of the artic front myself the green is a nice contrast to the tan. But I used cardboard before that, and the color blended so well, you did not notice it was there.

Attachments

My truck never got up to temp from the time I bought it until I was given a winter front, so it deffinatly helps it warm up :D and I honestly like the way it looks, though I need to replace the plexiglass, it still had the original papers taped to it, and the glass is a bit cloudy, but nothing that can't wait till summer. I'd say if you're going the cardboard route, get a big piece and zip tie it to the grill, then cut some flaps that can be opened and hooked down incase you start getting hot 2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks