• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winter Starting

Alex400

So, I had a couple questions about what you guys do for cold winter starts. Where I am, and where I would probably have the deuce, I would not be able to plug in a block heater or a oil pan heater. How would I go about getting a deuce ready for cold winter starts? 24volt manifold heater or ether shot?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't get me wrong, the easier you can make it for the starting system, the better. So, if you can preheat the engine and keep the batteries at their optimal performance temp (about room temperature), you'll have an easy time with the starting. The engine needs a cranking rpm of 200-300 to start...

A note about the batteries, they live longer if stored in a cool environment, just like to be warm when called for to do their job. :)

Attachments

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Excellent topic, another related question is the fuel, I know diesel is mixed in the cold months (cold whether states only of course) but I have too many deuces to fill up with mixed fuel. I'm sure I can add an additive but would gas do the same thing, would it keep diesel from gelling?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The surest and most portable engine starting device is a couple of joints of stove pipe with a 90 degree elbow on the end - then use a weed burner with a 20# propane tank. Stick the weed burner in the end of the stove pipe, with the elbow under the oil pan. It doesn't take long. But the system is not "fool proof". You need to pay attention to what you are doing. The newer vehicles that have plastic air lines need close attention, or you'll melt them.

The system does work. In the severest situations, use tarps, visqueen, or a parachute to hold in the heat. Many field repairs have been accomplished using some version of this procedure.

There are also propane fired tank heaters made for the purpose.

Lee in Alaska

SasquatchSanta

Granted I live in an extreme climate area but last winter, even with blended fuel and liberal doses of Power Service I still had jelling problems. This winter I'm not going to leave anything to chance. I'm switching to straight number-one with power service for lubricity.

I hate number-one because it yields less power and less mileage BUT --- it beats walking.

As for mods to help cold weather starts, take your pick: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=14898&postdays=0&postorder=asc

One word of caution. Ether injection and the manifold flame heater are not compatible!Lighting up the manifold heater after applying ether will cause a "Big Boom" :shock:

Scares the he!! out of Rudolph :)

Alex400

Ok for clarification, I live in seattle in the summers and live in Ellensburg, WA during the school year. In the winter it averages between 0 and 20 degrees with a minus 20 wind chill. wind is always blowing. That is why I was wondering. And the place where I would be parking the Deuce would be down from where in the free gravel lot, not even remotely close to a power outlet. I would see it every day but, I would lack the ability to plug, let's say a block heater in.

Cold weather driving i know a bit about. The use of radiator covers and such. I did something similar with my 4runner when i had short commutes in the winter, i used a piece of cardboard to cover up a quarter of the radiator. What are the hood blankets you are talking about? Are they insulated blankets help to keep the heat in the engine bay?

RICE670

Slave kit, all self contained 6 12 24 volt start/ 100000 BTU heater. 1 issued per 25 truck in artic conditions. Supposed to start vehicles down to -60 F.

Attachments

mbwarner

Greetings, Alex. I did a 4 year term in E-burg before it was a university.

Wind chill is not relevant to a parked vehicle beyond the fact that when warm, it will cool down more quickly. Thus, a parked vehicle will get no colder than the thermometer temperature, regardless of wind.

Also, all the deuces I've seen here in the northwest so far have had the flame type manifold heater.

I live now at the base of the Blue Mountains by Walla Walla, which I'm guessing is about 5 degrees warmer than E-Burg year round, because E-burg is a higher elevation. I've had no trouble starting my trucks as long as the batteries are in good condition. I run 15-40 Rotella in my trucks, and I have never had to use the manifold heater.

Alex400

mbwarner said:
Greetings, Alex. I did a 4 year term in E-burg before it was a university.

Wind chill is not relevant to a parked vehicle beyond the fact that when warm, it will cool down more quickly. Thus, a parked vehicle will get no colder than the thermometer temperature, regardless of wind.

Also, all the deuces I've seen here in the northwest so far have had the flame type manifold heater.

I live now at the base of the Blue Mountains by Walla Walla, which I'm guessing is about 5 degrees warmer than E-Burg year round, because E-burg is a higher elevation. I've had no trouble starting my trucks as long as the batteries are in good condition. I run 15-40 Rotella in my trucks, and I have never had to use the manifold heater.
THat is true about wind chill. I guess I knew that. :lol: That is good to know about starting. I was just wondering if that was cold enough to throw her for a loop. Yeah I was planning on running Delo 400 15w-40 because I can get it through my dad's work.

Yeah batteries definitely need to be good. My roommate has a 94 dodge cummins, left one light on, destroyed the batteries, because he left it there for a week and a half. Couldn't jump it to save us. The batteries looked like they had been in there for years and there was no dates. So he ended up just buying a new set, which is something I have gotten in the habit of doing when I get new vehicles.

THanks!

RICE670

I have only seen one on e bay. This one looked NOS and works perfectly. It has a built in 80 amp 24 v generator. Supposed to have 4- 6 volt batteries, but I have it loaded with 12 volters. The flame is gas oil mix from the generator fuel tank. The heat is directed with stainless 3 '' flex pipe. MT 40 slave kit is the model.

Attachments

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Alex400 said:
Ok for clarification, I live in seattle in the summers and live in Ellensburg, WA during the school year. In the winter it averages between 0 and 20 degrees with a minus 20 wind chill. wind is always blowing. That is why I was wondering. And the place where I would be parking the Deuce would be down from where in the free gravel lot, not even remotely close to a power outlet. I would see it every day but, I would lack the ability to plug, let's say a block heater in.

Cold weather driving i know a bit about. The use of radiator covers and such. I did something similar with my 4runner when i had short commutes in the winter, i used a piece of cardboard to cover up a quarter of the radiator. What are the hood blankets you are talking about? Are they insulated blankets help to keep the heat in the engine bay?
Have you thought about sheltering the truck some? Keeping it out of direct wind and cold will help to keep the vehicle at only ambient air-temperature and not air-temperature plus wind-chill factor. I would construct a light weight shelter to cover the M35A2 with. And then I would use probably just a simple can of ether to start it up... Once you keep the truck at say 20 degrees instead of -10degress starting will be a lot easier. Also depending on what you make this shelter out of you might put in a space heater of some type... Open Flames would not be my first choice but a generator and electric would be fine I think for most materials. Heat the building up for an 1 to 2 hours before driving and that should really help.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

DaveP said:
I use a portable Hot Box that is a gas fired hot water heater with a pump (12 Volt) and quick connectors. it heats the 250's in the 5 tons enough to fire up in about 12 - 15 mins. with ambient around 0. I tried to search my old post on this with out any luck.
That's a really good option right there... But you would need a shelter to really make use of it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks