• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winter storage ,keep the critters out of the cab.

phantomjeep

peppermint oil is the best so far, and the smell you can put up with. as for ants??? the exterminator that comes to the shop where i work said that peppermint oil is one of the things in ant killer/derturent. he said ants hate pepermint oil. so try it and give us a report as to the march of the ants up to the cab or down and out. He Also said bees do not like it either, I will keep the bottle in year round and try it. people must be the only ones that like pepermint!!!

ida34

How many bars of Irish Spring should one use for the cab of a truck to keep mice out ?
I use three in a 27 foot travel trailer. On the deuce cab I would go with one bar under the passenger seat on the trans hump. I would also put at least one in the bed if it is a covered bed.

stumps

I use three in a 27 foot travel trailer. On the deuce cab I would go with one bar under the passenger seat on the trans hump. I would also put at least one in the bed if it is a covered bed.
I had a bar of Irish Spring that I received as a sample in the mail. I put it in a dish on the kitchen sink of an old house I don't use, and the mice ate it.

It is pretty hard to find anything that offends the nose, or palate of a mouse.

-Chuck

jollyroger

My farm is in a creek bottom where we have loads of mice, cottontail bunnies, prarie dogs, moles and voles, and pack rats.

Dryer sheets: Effectiveness Fair: They worked for a few weeks and then the mice used them for TP. One would have to replace the sheets twice a month IMO.

Decon: Effectivness Poor: The rodents can actually develop a tolerance for decon. While it does kill some of the rodents they still get into your unit and do their thing BEFORE they die. The Decon makes their stomach bleed and then they crave water. If they don't have a water source close by they will last quite a while before they expire. Doing damage the whole time. It is best if you leave a pie tin or bowl with water next to the Decon. It works faster that way.

Soap bars: Effectiveness Poor: They eat it. End of story.

Traps: Effectivness Poor: They do the damage before they get caught and it attracts ants and other bugs.

Moth Balls: Effectivness Fair: they work on deturing the mice for a month to month and a half. However who the H E ** wants to smell that stuff.

Little Tree air fresheners: Effectivness Fair: Like the dryer sheets they lose effectivness but they last about a month to a month and a half.

Predator Pee: Effectivness Poor: The rodents seem to know that our smells are mixed in with the Predator smells and don't really care inside the vehicle. It is more effective if you ring the ground around the truck with predator smell but it wears out quickly and has not seemed to detur the rodents for more than a few days.

I have not tried the peppermint oil. That will be the next test. Thanks for the 411. Hopefully it deturs bugs and insects too. We have a horrible problem with wasps here. The meat wasps have been trapped out because those traps are redily available at the store and they work. The paper wasps and mud dobbers are on the loose and hard to trap. They are most affected by wasp spray. Sometimes you don't know they have built a nest under the dash of the truck, can happen in a matter of days, and then they get active when they warm up or they see your foot on the pedals. I have had this happen a few times. It sucks. They sting and bite. :evil::cry:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This thread is timely. Yesterday I opened the door of my Deuce to do some work in the cab and saw a new 2-inch diameter mouse hole in the middle of the passenger seat bottom. I was pissed! I'm going to try the peppermint oil.

We live deep in the woods under oak trees with plenty of acorns and next to a stream, and we have a very large mouse population. I have had mouse problems in my vehicles for years, especially my F-150. Mice seem to love Ford wiring. I've had to replace the wiring harness on the engine twice. They expecially like to eat the wires to the injectors. They have eaten holdes in my seats., chewed through a seat belt, chewed up my registration, etc. I've tried everything.

1. Black & Decker electronic repellent: Worked for a couple of weeks and then they chewed the cord in two.

2. Irish Spring: They ate the soap

3. Dryer Sheets: No effect

4. Mouse Traps: Worked well until a wounded mouse escaped and died up under the dash where I couldn't find it. The smell lasted months.

5. Mouse Poison: Killed the mice, but again some dead mice remained in the truck smelling it up.

6. Moth Balls: Worked well, but repelled wife and friends even more than the mice.

I'll try the Peppermint Oil

DanJP2

How about an attic with mice or a chip mock in the winter. I have a trap in there but its not sensive enough and they get in and out of it. Should I do the soap or peppermint oil? I see one member said the mice eat the soap so maybe ill lock it in the trap.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought some of those battery powered "shock" traps. They have small and large. I put a dab of peanut butter in there and "ZAP". kill em' dead. The batteries last for about 400 mice. Worked on pesky squirrels as well.:-D

scooter01922

Dan you want to catch em for sure?? Alrighty, you need a 5 gallon bucket, a piece of scrap 1x4, house trim or something to make a ramp to the lip of said bucket, some peanutbutter and one asprin. Crush asprin and mix into one goober of peanutbutter. Place said goober at the bottom of the bucket, place ramp from floor level onto the top of the bucket. You should have one dead rodent in the bottom of the bucket for easy disposal in no time. Little sucker smells the peanut butter, scampers up the ramp, jumps in, eats the asprin laced peanutty goodness, can't leave to die someplace else and simply keels over. Ta Da problem solved and you used your noggin and crap you prob have lying around to do it :) Oh and as an aside, the little bugger croaked full of peanut butter and headache free, eh not so bad.

JAYHAWK 1962

Good info guys. Humorous also. I feel the pain of mice chewing all your sh** up. Tarps duffle bags etc etc etc. They love my stuff. Will put some of this intel to good use. Have been storing as much stuff in ammo cans as i can. Airtight waterproof. Mice can't get to it at all. Use the big 20 mm cans on their side for manuals. That way they dont curl up. Seems to work well. Put metal rimmed tags on outside so i know what is inside each one. Plus keeps all items together eg front end nuts bolts bearings seals etc.

AN/ARC186

After reading this thread and having had rodent problems in the past I decided to try the Irish Spring approach, now I have a question...
Anyone know how to get rid of a leprechaun infestation?? :mrgreen:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After reading this thread and having had rodent problems in the past I decided to try the Irish Spring approach, now I have a question...
Anyone know how to get rid of a leprechaun infestation?? :mrgreen:

You crush up an aspirin in Lucky Charms and put it in the bottom of a 5-gallon bucket and put a step ladder next to it.

I wanted to use the fox or coyote urine but they can't hit the cup I was using.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks