• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winter trail run Mid to Norhern MI ?

dragonwagon

Been batting around the idea of a winter trail ride . Given these facts is there interest in attending ?

1 Chains would be a problem , trails in the area are short , run a trail hit some pavement to the next trail . Dont want to put chains on and off all day .

2 Have not convinced a better known and experienced MV operator to do the run so may be held by a rookie . Me :cookoo: Remember you get what you pay for and this is free :mrgreen:

Depth of snow would dictate where we run , may want to stay out of the hilly area , lack of knowledge with the deuce so im not sure . Id do a bit of prerunning as well . Not all the trails here are going to be wide enough .

" IF " i cant convice the guy further north to hold this then it would be around the west branch area .

Well how many would potentially be interested in this early to mid Jan ?

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our neck of the woods is relatively flat.
The trails / two tracks are on US Forest Service land.
I have yet to get the new maps, which will be required.
For 2010 and beyond the USFS has deceided that the only place you can drive is what is shown on their new maps.
So that sweet highly used trail that is not marked as open or closed may be closed.
A minor issue to deal with. but must be handled.
There are maps online, but if stopped by the FS it would be best to have map in hand to show where you believe you are or have been.
There are also hundreds of miles of "Forest Service Trails" dirt roads that don't get plowed and see snowmobile traffic, yet are open to street legal vehicles.
I run a few miles of open roads near my place, by open road I mean they are open and listed as a road,
yet some are only big enough for a jeep size vehicle and none could be navigated with a passenger car. So prerunning will be a good idea.
and finding a staging area will be important.
The USFS has a group trail camp near here, mainly for the shore to shore horse trail, but can be rented for groups.
although I think they close it once the snow flies. Need to contact the Huron Shores Ranger Station for info.

Then there is the state land / trails around Camp Grayling.

Last edited:

agtblank

I know a bunch of "roads" off of Valley Rd near Luzurne are quite interesting, not to mention the powerline corridor. I would love to come, but I will only be in town for around 5-10ish of December. I am currently deployed and headed home to Germany with a short stop back home in Michigan. I really need a first hand ride in a deuce before I actually commit to buying one when I return from my overseas tour in August.

I know a bunch of "roads" off of Valley Rd near Luzurne are quite interesting, not to mention the powerline corridor. I would love to come, but I will only be in town for around 5-10ish of December. I am currently deployed and headed home to Germany with a short stop back home in Michigan. I really need a first hand ride in a deuce before I actually commit to buying one when I return from my overseas tour in August.
I can handle the ride part if you get near northern MI.

Attachments

trukhead

Trail Ride!! Yipppeee...

I have and A3 and am moderately disabled so my idea of a good time is fording 3 inches of water and 3 inches of snow. I could put on chains but that would be a bi$*^h for me. My idea of a good run is power line corridors and nice easy Pu&*$y trails all day then a beer, a sandwich and a nice cozy sleeping bag at the end of the day in the back of the duece. :driver:

I can't participate in insane:cookoo: off-road exploits cause I can't really walk to far or through too much, See:

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7hDh4gr4qU

or type in "insane russian offroadiing" on youtube

My hat's off to you for suggesting this:beer:

just my2cents

dragonwagon

Iv done a lot of sowwheeling , just not in a deuce . Im confident in my self but i dont want to either , 1 lead a really boring run or 2 get every one in over our heads .

Snow runs tend to go like this , the big and the bad move up front , those who dont want to fight the trail move back a few rigs and the trail is opened up by the lead trucks .

This rig does well up to about 2 / 3 ' of snow , then you may be whinching . Or if you sink . bead lock wheels , 5 psi keeps you on top .

Whats the deuce walk through with out issue ? danged if i know
rofl

Attachments

Last edited:

Kasper31

Hello Bob H. and Dragonwagon, Would my stock M-37 W/winch, locker in rear gear, limited in the front with mud & snow tires work on this type of run? I think this would be a fun event even for myself with limited knowledge of the trails and the other MV owners, maybe I could learn something other than mountain climbing with MV's.
Kasper31:beer:

dragonwagon

Kasper i dont see why your rig wouldnt work just fine .

As far as digging out , seldom going to take more then a little jerk on a strap , its not like mud that sucks you in and holds you there .

My deuce seems to have a pretty good heater and i work out in the cold so im acclimated to it any way .

Winter wheeling aint for every one though .

agtblank

uhh, yea... I forgot about that part. I'm acclimated to 120°... now that the temp has been falling, upper 70's feels rather cold to me right now.... I'm doomed.

AndrewH

An interesting idea DW. I don't usually take the deuce out in the winter as my expierence with NDTs on ice has been poor. I don't have chains yet :cry:. I would bring my 1009 tho..... Not much for trails in my immediate area. Lets see how this goes! - Andrew

AndrewH

Thanks Bob! :grin: Go ahead! Rub it in! Tires at 55 psi, no shains, no cargo, driving on a snowmobile trail, spring melt and froze. I don't feel bad at all!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks