• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winter warm up

IMA944T

Got my heater installed today and it works good. Wish I would have read about the fuel heaters first due to I over paid for my OEM military heater from a surplus place. My problem is the truck warming up takes forever in 40 or 50 degree weather. Has anybody covered the rad. to help warm up faster. As long as temp didn't get over 180 would it be ok???

dk8019

You can buy a radiator cover off ebay from C&C equipment for $35. It helps quite a bit in this regard I've found. The thermostat might not be too happy on your truck either and could be partially stuck open.

IMA944T

So if I wanted to change thermostat. Can I get one from local Riellys? And try for one in the 180 range without hurting anything??
Before my 10 mile ride today it sat and idled for appox 1/2 hour. I wanted to make sure it wouldn't overheat since I had installed heater. Even with idling for that long and then diving it only reached 160. Hottest it got while idleing was tad over 120 by the guage.

Alex400

There are different thermostats from what I understand, mine runs at 160, my brothers runs at 180.
I am sure there are different thermostats, but the main reason for that is to get the engine into operating temperature. I don't know what you guys feel is the correct temp for these motors to run at is, i just know that the TM says operating temp is between 180 and 200.

Should the engine get to these temps or should it be lower?

1qwkgoat

So if I wanted to change thermostat. Can I get one from local Riellys? And try for one in the 180 range without hurting anything??
Before my 10 mile ride today it sat and idled for appox 1/2 hour. I wanted to make sure it wouldn't overheat since I had installed heater. Even with idling for that long and then diving it only reached 160. Hottest it got while idleing was tad over 120 by the guage.
Thats what mine will do even with 3/4 of the radiator covered. Outside temp was 50-60

Mark2X2

Got my heater installed today and it works good. Wish I would have read about the fuel heaters first due to I over paid for my OEM military heater from a surplus place. My problem is the truck warming up takes forever in 40 or 50 degree weather. Has anybody covered the rad. to help warm up faster. As long as temp didn't get over 180 would it be ok???
I'm a logger and live and work in northern WI where it is fricking cold! If it's -20 in the morning and will warm up to -5 or warmer, we work. A diesel engine will not warm up at a low idle. I have a Pro-Heat, and we have Hilton Propane tank heaters on everything else, for the 0 and below cold weather.
If the temp is above 0, start the truck let the oil pressure come up after about a minute pull the throttle lock and set the RPM to 1000. Let it run for 5 minutes, then take off easy. If it's below 0 let it run 10 minutes. Don't push it hard until the temp comes up.
If you run cardboard cut a round hole on the center, it lets some air through and keeps your fan blades from flexing and eventually breaking off.
We run Cummins, Cat, and John Deere engines. We use straight SAE 10 Rotella in the winter, and SAE 30 Rotella spring summer and fall. Except my machine, bought it with 5000 hrs the owner used Amsoil 15-40, so we have continued with it. I'm at 14,700 hrs, the deepest we have been into this engine is adjusting the valves. The only total engine failure was a Cat 3304 in a 963 crawler loader. A nut came of the rod cap, rod through side of block. Everything else has had over 12,000 hours before it needed to be re-built.
So in OK you shouldn't have much trouble.
Mark
M35A2 Deuce
M105A2 Trailer
M101A1 Trailer
3) Rokons

I can hopefully help. In colder states (north mason Dixon line) - 20 manual tells you to use a thermostat that opens at 180 degree. I live in Oregon I first found this out from chief mechanic In National Guard, then had it confirmed by SSgt. Sharp in Korea while On active Duty Army.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless you actually "drive" your deuce, the thermostat will remain closed. It should be an 180°F unit.
On the highway, without a load, the temp will range from 170 to 180 and drop as much as 40 degrees on a long downhill run. When I noticed this behavior, I installed a semi permanent plywood cover with openings and use it except when pulling a heavy load and only then will the thermostat open. The highest temp I have ever seen on my deuce is 208 going up a mountain loaded (I often use a digital thermocouple sensor for accurate readings).

IMA944T

i guess I'll try a new thermostat. It can't hurt to replace after all these years.
I'll try for a 180. Does anybody know if it's available to buy at NAPA or Oreillys?? Some good old 50/50 antifreeze and I think It's the best I can do without covering the rad.
Never thought about holding engine rpm's to 1000 after OP is gained.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks