• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winter weather.

loosegravel

Just a retired mechanic who's having fun!
Just thinking about all of you who may live in the Midwest or the north east coast. Hoping that you all have working generators to take care of you when your power goes out. The weather report looks like you’re in for a difficult Christmas. I’m in the NW part of Washington. We’ve had a little freezing rain causing some issues, but I’m sure that it’s nothing compared to what you all are dealing with right now. Be safe, stay warm and Merry Christmas!🎄

Evvy Fesler

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just thinking about all of you who may live in the Midwest or the north east coast. Hoping that you all have working generators to take care of you when your power goes out. The weather report looks like you’re in for a difficult Christmas. I’m in the NW part of Washington. We’ve had a little freezing rain causing some issues, but I’m sure that it’s nothing compared to what you all are dealing with right now. Be safe, stay warm and Merry Christmas!🎄
None of the emojis does it justice for this post. It's so very thoughtful of you. Merry Christmas to all and godspeed this weather event over with.

Last edited:

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm in central Pa. Temp at noon was 51...it's 4:00 and it's 11 out with a -7 windchill!! Crazy...unfortunately my 803 is being a smoker trying to get it to start!! Dang thing gets run every month loaded up!! Luckily it's on the back side where the wind isn't that bad so I'm diving into it now! Turns over evenly and fast, have a 24 volt noco charger on the batteries and I do have a nato cable I can jump it with if I need to as well...I hope I don't need that though!! My power is not out just wanted to get it a test run...always something!!

loosegravel

I'm in central Pa. Temp at noon was 51...it's 4:00 and it's 11 out with a -7 windchill!! Crazy...unfortunately my 803 is being a smoker trying to get it to start!! Dang thing gets run every month loaded up!! Luckily it's on the back side where the wind isn't that bad so I'm diving into it now! Turns over evenly and fast, have a 24 volt noco charger on the batteries and I do have a nato cable I can jump it with if I need to as well...I hope I don't need that though!! My power is not out just wanted to get it a test run...always something!!
Definitely, it’s always better to be prepared. I also have a 803 for my back-up power. We don’t see anything like 11 degrees, but it has been in the 20’s for this past week. Are the glow plugs all working do you think? I know that either is out of the question on these units.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Definitely, it’s always better to be prepared. I also have a 803 for my back-up power. We don’t see anything like 11 degrees, but it has been in the 20’s for this past week. Are the glow plugs all working do you think? I know that either is out of the question on these units.
I have not put a meter on it yet. I did the 30 second glow plug then hit the starter and it ran for about 30 seconds normally then shut off..sputter started then smoked no start out the exhaust! I'm gonna give it some cool off time and try it again. Kinda acting like it ran out of fuel or has a air leak. I have all the spare hoses and such so I'll find it!

uniquify

The 803 at my in-laws near Mission, SD / Valentine, NE got a good workout last week. Power was out for about 4 days Tuesday - Saturday. Felt good to know that their house was warm and the cattle had fresh well water to drink, even though we're snowed in on the other side of the state.

This week has been extra cold and windy, but the power has been staying on so far. 🤞 Their area is still dealing with 10-20 ft high snow drifts in places. The old timers are comparing it to the blizzard of 1949. (Youtube has some good PBS documentaries on that storm from Wyoming / Nebraska / South Dakota)

Between the 2-3 ft of snowfall, air temps below -20°F, winds blowing 30-50mph, and windchill below -50°F for a couple days, there's quite a mess in their area... It's a good excuse to stay home, stay warm and keep our loved ones safe.

Merry Christmas everyone! Stay warm and safe. Be sure to check on the ones you can't be with this season.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was at the grocery store earlier when my wife called and said we lost power. Seems to be isolated to just us, but surely wont stay that way with these winds. My fathers Generac shit the bed earlier in the year and hes currently without a genset waiting for Onan to deliver his new 1800RPM propane unit (50 weeks and counting...)

Good luck everyone.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have not put a meter on it yet. I did the 30 second glow plug then hit the starter and it ran for about 30 seconds normally then shut off..sputter started then smoked no start out the exhaust! I'm gonna give it some cool off time and try it again. Kinda acting like it ran out of fuel or has a air leak. I have all the spare hoses and such so I'll find it!
You have antigel in your fuel? Ice in the fuel can cause no pumping. Let the machine pump run for a few minutes then try again. If you still dont get it to go, undo the fuel line at the outbound side and see if you are getting fuel pumped. Move your way through the system to the injectors.

loosegravel

You have antigel in your fuel? Ice in the fuel can cause no pumping. Let the machine pump run for a few minutes then try again. If you still dont get it to go, undo the fuel line at the outbound side and see if you are getting fuel pumped. Move your way through the system to the injectors.
That’s the nice thing that I like about the the 802 and 803 units. The electric fuel lift pumps. It appears that all other 800 series engines utilize a mechanical lift pump which requires engine cranking to get the fuel flowing. There is usually a mechanical hand pump lever involved, but the electric lift pumps are so much nicer, IMO.

loosegravel

I was at the grocery store earlier when my wife called and said we lost power. Seems to be isolated to just us, but surely wont stay that way with these winds. My fathers Generac shit the bed earlier in the year and hes currently without a genset waiting for Onan to deliver his new 1800RPM propane unit (50 weeks and counting...)

Good luck everyone.
That’s a long time to be waiting for a generator. I would bet that you have something in your arsenal to help him out:p

loosegravel

I like what you said here. Keep it simple. With the S1 in the “run” position the electric lift pump should be running and there should be fuel returning to the tank. If not, then there’s a problem.

loosegravel

What he was told was they couldn't source turbos... supposedly they have gotten some in so his machine is back in production. How can Cummins/Onan not source turbos???
It’s really a racket. I just retired from the local transit company. Cummins, unfortunately, is the only major diesel engine manufacturer who has stepped up to the plate and conformed to the EPA strict standards. Caterpillar and Detroit Diesel no longer produce over the road engines, at least not for the US. But what has transpired in the past several years is a lack of Cummins repair parts to keep their engines running. Warranty or not, we had busses sitting in our yards for months waiting for the Cummins parts to get them repaired. How this is acceptable in any persons mind is beyond me.

loosegravel

It’s really a racket. I just retired from the local transit company. Cummins, unfortunately, is the only major diesel engine manufacturer who has stepped up to the plate and conformed to the EPA strict standards. Caterpillar and Detroit Diesel no longer produce over the road engines, at least not for the US. But what has transpired in the past several years is a lack of Cummins repair parts to keep their engines running. Warranty or not, we had busses sitting in our yards for months waiting for the Cummins parts to get them repaired. How this is acceptable in any persons mind is beyond me.
To add to this parts supply problem, back in the 80’s and even into the 90’s you could expect to get 500,000 miles to 600,000 miles on a transit bus before it needed an in-frame overhaul. Now, with all of the after treatment systems, EGR, diesel particulate filters, diesel exhaust fluid etc. these engines are lucky to get 200,000 miles before they need to be replaced. I say replaced, not rebuilt because Cummins did away with replacement liners so the block is junk. Think it’s a racket now?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 802s been running since my posting yesterday afternoon. Tentative power reestablishment is 6 o clock tonight. The 802s dutifully roasting a standing rib roast at the moment... I mean... getting a high quality load bank test. Merry Xmas to all.

Ray70

Are you going to roll up any of the sides in foil and set them on top of the engine to cook?
Gotta take full advantage of that extra heat energy.
I think potatoes take about 6 hours at 180F
Crescent rolls are probably only 2 hours, unless it's really windy out....
Test your cylinder balance by placing a potato near each exhaust port and perform a taste test after 6 hours to determine if the injectors are balanced. ;)
Merry Christmas to everyone!

loosegravel

The 802s been running since my posting yesterday afternoon. Tentative power reestablishment is 6 o clock tonight. The 802s dutifully roasting a standing rib roast at the moment... I mean... getting a high quality load bank test. Merry Xmas to all.
That’s so cool to hear! Merry Christmas to you and your family 🎅🏻

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks