• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winterizing MEP-803A

GlacierRover

Hey all, just purchased a MEP-803A to setup as my home backup generator and I'm looking to prepare it for the winter. I live up in northwest Montana and it seems like we usually have a spat in the winter where it will drop to -30 to -40 degrees Fahrenheit and get pretty windy, and I'm always nervous during those times because my house is all electric and until now we had no recourse if the power went out.

I'm researching options to winterize my MEP-803A for extreme cold weather and found the eberspacher coolant heater kit for a decent price, but my question is would running this system drain my batteries so much that I then couldn't start the generator when it's warmed up? Do I need to look into a battery blanket system? I'll certainly be putting antigel in the fuel.

Anything else I need to be considering to get the generator ready for some really cold temperatures?

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dang you are way up north!! My brother lives in bozeman and have friends south in kilespel. They all send pics of huge snow falls and very cold temps. My first question with that genset is where are you going to put it? I don't think sitting outside would work well with that much snow it would get buried. As far as getting it reliable to run cold start is good batteries and a plugged in battery tender. There may be a winterize kit in the tm for a cover and block heater. I wouldn't try and run any type of heater off the batteries as you'll need all of it to start it when you need it.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Jeepadict

I'd say based on all other machines I've had in a Northern climate, most important for me would be the proper water/glycol mix for the lowest expected tenps...followed closely by having the proper viscosity oil for the lowest expected temps. I would insist on quality AGM batteries, and clean terminals. Fresh filters and fuel additives to compliment the ensemble.

The cool thing is, Uncle Sam already did all the hard work for you as these sets were designed to be fielded in Artic climates. All the information you would need or want will be in the TMs...easy to download from the SS forum library.

Many folks keep their batteries by a babysitter, I prefer the NOCO dual bank type. (A few threads on this, just use the search function)

Take note on the operating instructions on either the control panel cover or the TM, specific starting procedures given based on ambient temps are noted.

I agree with the previous post, keep your machine in some sort of shelter from the snow, and pest/rodent-proof the openings!

Don't forget to handle all the low-hanging fruit mods and maintenance items before you field it into service.

Spend some time getting yourself familiar with the machine by perusing the various threads on your machine and introduce yourself to the TM collection with special attention to the Operator's Manual.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

uniquify

I'm always nervous during those times because my house is all electric and until now we had no recourse if the power went out.
What does your place have for heat source(s)?
(Furnace, heat pump, space heaters, fireplace, etc.)

I know the 803 at my in-law's will barely run half of their electric furnace, and that's with all other breakers turned off for that house. Their furnace has a pair of 240V 60A breakers. The blower and half the heating coils are on 1 breaker, and the remaining coils are on the 2nd breaker (which has to be turned off when running on generator power).

2Pbfeet

Hey all, just purchased a MEP-803A to setup as my home backup generator and I'm looking to prepare it for the winter. I live up in northwest Montana and it seems like we usually have a spat in the winter where it will drop to -30 to -40 degrees Fahrenheit and get pretty windy, and I'm always nervous during those times because my house is all electric and until now we had no recourse if the power went out.

I'm researching options to winterize my MEP-803A for extreme cold weather and found the eberspacher coolant heater kit for a decent price, but my question is would running this system drain my batteries so much that I then couldn't start the generator when it's warmed up? Do I need to look into a battery blanket system? I'll certainly be putting antigel in the fuel.

Anything else I need to be considering to get the generator ready for some really cold temperatures?
Another vote for reading the TM and the forums, and rodent proofing your generator.

If you can put it in a wind proof insulated shed, that will take the edge off of the cold. (To store, perhaps run with open door(s)). The Eberspracher heaters are great, solid units, and there is a specific coolant heater for the MEP-803A, but it is not common. Just bear in mind that it may take a while (10-30minutes) to get the engine and oil warm.

If you have an all electric house, I would run some numbers on how much power you need. The amount and quality of the insulation, heat pump versus resistance heat/hot water heating, and hydronic vs forced air or radiators make a big difference in thermal demands, and therefore how much power you need. I would start with your existing January power bill (kWh) and then divide by 31, and again by 24 to get a ballpark average kW load, knowing that with a stove and water heater running it might be several times that. To the extent that you have resistance heat, shifting that to heat pumps will significantly drop your demand (to 25-35% of resistance heat demand).

All the best,

2Pbfeet

Last edited:

2Pbfeet

2Pbfeet Wrote:

(To store, perhaps run with open door(s)).

Perhaps I am misunderstanding. Run the generator with doors open?
No, sir. Oh, gosh no!

I meant the shed doors. Bad grammar/sentence construction on my part.

-30F to -40F and snow aren't great storage conditions in my experience, and I have worked hard not to run internal combustion engines in closed spaces, as I am sure you have, too. I was thinking more of the difficulties of building generator enclosures that are large enough to work in, yet have good ventilation, have reasonable protection from the elements, insulation, and fire be reasonably resistant...

All the best,

2Pbfeet

Ray70

Some of these 803's came with an arctic ( diesel powered ) coolant heater installed.
I've removed and sold 2 of them being that they are not needed here in New England.
Perhaps you could keep your eyes out for one to become available?
That could be run for a while after an outage occurs, prior to starting the engine.
Keeping the machine out of the brutal wind alone will make a big difference, but may not be enough on its own.

GlacierRover

Thanks everyone for all the information, this is a great help. Really appreciate the wealth of knowledge on this site.

Some of these 803's came with an arctic ( diesel powered ) coolant heater installed.
I've removed and sold 2 of them being that they are not needed here in New England.
Perhaps you could keep your eyes out for one to become available?
That could be run for a while after an outage occurs, prior to starting the engine.
Keeping the machine out of the brutal wind alone will make a big difference, but may not be enough on its own.
This kit was what I was thinking of, I found one listed that I can get for a reasonable price and I was thinking of pulling the trigger on it. I was just worried that running it before trying to start the generator might run down my batteries which will already be struggling with the cold, and then the generator won't have enough juice to start. My batteries are brand new, and maybe this coolant heater kit has such a low draw that my fears are unfounded?

What does your place have for heat source(s)?
(Furnace, heat pump, space heaters, fireplace, etc.)

I know the 803 at my in-law's will barely run half of their electric furnace, and that's with all other breakers turned off for that house. Their furnace has a pair of 240V 60A breakers. The blower and half the heating coils are on 1 breaker, and the remaining coils are on the 2nd breaker (which has to be turned off when running on generator power).
You are correct in pointing out the concern about my electric heat source, which is a furnace that runs through central air. Sounds like I have a similar system to your in-laws with 2 breakers, and I was planning on running with one of the breakers turned off. By my math I should be able to run the heat and some other basics, but my fall back is some space heaters if the furnace presents too large a load. I was planning on doing some renovations on the house this summer/fall, and looking into a more efficient heat source is probably something to put on the to do list since I have an old furnace anyway (close to 25 years old).

Another vote for reading the TM and the forums, and rodent proofing your generator.

If you can put it in a wind proof insulated shed, that will take the edge off of the cold. (To store, perhaps run with open door(s)). The Eberspracher heaters are great, solid units, and there is a specific coolant heater for the MEP-803A, but it is not common. Just bear in mind that it may take a while (10-30minutes) to get the engine and oil warm.

If you have an all electric house, I would run some numbers on how much power you need. The amount and quality of the insulation, heat pump versus resistance heat/hot water heating, and hydronic vs forced air or radiators make a big difference in thermal demands, and therefore how much power you need. I would start with your existing January power bill (kWh) and then divide by 31, and again by 24 to get a ballpark average kW load, knowing that with a stove and water heater running it might be several times that. To the extent that you have resistance heat, shifting that to heat pumps will significantly drop your demand (to 25-35% of resistance heat demand).

All the best,

2Pbfeet
I'm looking into options for getting the generator in an enclosed and hopefully insulated space, I'd like to keep the generator mobile and I am looking at one of the military welding trailers that are able to be enclosed that I could put the generator in. As for the numbers you suggested that I run, I came out with a 3.5 kW average load, but the large loads of the furnace and water heater are still a concern. I'll need to do some load testing to see how it plays out with actual usage.

2Pbfeet

Thanks everyone for all the information, this is a great help. Really appreciate the wealth of knowledge on this site.

This kit was what I was thinking of, I found one listed that I can get for a reasonable price and I was thinking of pulling the trigger on it. I was just worried that running it before trying to start the generator might run down my batteries which will already be struggling with the cold, and then the generator won't have enough juice to start. My batteries are brand new, and maybe this coolant heater kit has such a low draw that my fears are unfounded?

You are correct in pointing out the concern about my electric heat source, which is a furnace that runs through central air. Sounds like I have a similar system to your in-laws with 2 breakers, and I was planning on running with one of the breakers turned off. By my math I should be able to run the heat and some other basics, but my fall back is some space heaters if the furnace presents too large a load. I was planning on doing some renovations on the house this summer/fall, and looking into a more efficient heat source is probably something to put on the to do list since I have an old furnace anyway (close to 25 years old).

I'm looking into options for getting the generator in an enclosed and hopefully insulated space, I'd like to keep the generator mobile and I am looking at one of the military welding trailers that are able to be enclosed that I could put the generator in. As for the numbers you suggested that I run, I came out with a 3.5 kW average load, but the large loads of the furnace and water heater are still a concern. I'll need to do some load testing to see how it plays out with actual usage.
On the Arctic heater module; if you are worried about the main batteries running down (a reasonable concern in my view), I would consider a second battery set dedicated to running the preheat. The Eberspracher units don't draw much power, but like everything else, they will do better if they aren't trying to heat a completely exposed engine. Even carefully tarping it or blanketing it will help a lot.

I think that the goal isn't a hot engine, just not a frozen engine. Don't forget to have your antifreeze mix good for -40, but not more than you need as glycol doesn't cool as well as water.

Upgrading to low temperature heat pumps will help some, but -40 is tough without great insulation no matter how you slice it.

All the best,

2Pbfeet

Ray70

I don't know if I'd worry all that much about the batteries. You're only going to run the heater for a short period before starting it , and all it needs is like 5A to run. The military used them like this, no reason it won't work for you as well. Sounds like you will get AGM's probably group 34's which will be fine

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks