• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wiper arm options?

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Read my prior post about a super easy and cheap wiper military-civilian conversion.

twisted60

IMG_2018.JPGIMG_2019.JPGIMG_2020.JPG

This worked great for me, 11 or 12 inch wiper from your favorite store, drill out center rivet, put original wiper arm in, install bolt from old wiper blade (not to tight, allow wiper to move), that's all, like I said works great.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
My way costs no more than the price of civilian wiper blades (like 10 bucks?).

You need to know how to and have the ability to use a drill. Might be hard for some. LOL

Last edited:

Jeepbilt

SECOND THAT ON THE YJ ARMS. I JUST DID THIS AS WELL. NEW ARMS AND BLADES LITERALLY TOOK ABOUT 1 MINUTE.
I have a new repro YJ wiper arm on hand, a new pivot and the fit is loose. It won't rotate on the drum but it will lift right off. The tab just barely engages the bottom of the drum. The tab, being spring steel is resisting attempts to bend it for a tighter fit. Diameter of a used YJ drum is .012 larger than the new pivot.
After a different approach, the tab is now engaging better, but that clearance issue leads me to believe that there could be an eventual stripping problem. How long have you been using the YJ arms?

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The arms I used were listed as jeep YJ. They have a little rod that prevents the spring action from closing while not on the vehicle. Once i put the arm and blade onto the wiper motor shaft, I pulled the arm up a little and removed the pin. The spring then latches onto the shaft and the arm is pushed onto glass. I used them another truck as well as this one. Fit is snug. I honestly don't use them too often though, so in regards to daily driver kind of use, I do not know how that would turn out. But I couldn't physically pull them off by hand.

Jeepbilt

The arms I used were listed as jeep YJ. They have a little rod that prevents the spring action from closing while not on the vehicle. Once i put the arm and blade onto the wiper motor shaft, I pulled the arm up a little and removed the pin. The spring then latches onto the shaft and the arm is pushed onto glass. I used them another truck as well as this one. Fit is snug. I honestly don't use them too often though, so in regards to daily driver kind of use, I do not know how that would turn out. But I couldn't physically pull them off by hand.
Thank you for that input. The arm I have came the same way with the pin. Daily usage is the issue.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a fyi that the OE wiper blades can be found at any hd store easily like napa as they are common in the hd/truck market. Not at your auto zones or wal mart stores. Typically run around $6 each.

Jeepbilt

Just a fyi that the OE wiper blades can be found at any hd store easily like napa as they are common in the hd/truck market. Not at your auto zones or wal mart stores. Typically run around $6 each.
Thank you. If I go forward with this project, I will go with the Anco 31-12 solution by Tobash.

Atchuuu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stupid question! Tired from getting HMMWV ready for cruising the coast.

how do you install the wiper arms. It doesn’t appear that the motor returns to a set position. I know how to attach them just don’t know if the wiper bolt is keyed to a set position. Don’t want them going up the frame of windshield or binding.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe the oe wiper arms have an alignment slot on the knurl so if the wiper linkage is hooked up correctly to a working motor, it should not let them go that far. They park at something close to a 45' angle,