• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wiper arms

Z71

I got a pair of new wiper arms from a surplus dealer and they do not fit my wiper motor shafts. I compared them to the old ones and it looks like the bushing is different on the new ones. It is not recessed in the back like the old wiper arm bushing is, and there is not enough exposed threaded shaft to allow the acorn nut to be crewed on.

I was not aware that there were different styles of air motor shafts and different wiper arms. The only thing I really needed was the end wiper arm bracket which holds the wiper blade, and which is replaceable on my old wiper arms. The new arms have that end bracket riveted on, instead of screwed on.

The question I have is: Are the old style arms with recessed bushings still available, and if not can I simply press out the old bushings from my old arms and press them into new arms? They seem to be metal bushings, so I believe that it should be possible.

Also, are these end brackets that hold the wiper blades available somewhere? They seem to be the weak part of the arm - they rust through on the end, and will no longer hold the blade in place.

Last edited:

Chevyman_15237

I bought a wiper upgrade kit through saturn surplus... changing wiper blades is a snap, cost effective to say the least! Easy to install the arms themselves... comes with several knurled studs to attach to the existing wiper motor shafts. 2cents

goldneagle

2x Anco 4101 Wiper Adjustable Arm - 1" 2x Anco 3113 Short N Sweet Wiper - 13" $50.38 from AMAZON.com free shipping. These are better than the crap Saturn use to sell.

goldneagle

The stuff I got from saturn was all Anco stuff....maybe their older stuff wasn't, don't know. At least another source.
This was going back at least 3 years. It was cheap Chinese junk. The only issue I had with the Anco arm is that the nut that came with it did not fit the thread on the end of the shaft coming from the wiper motor.

I recommend you get a set of brass ones before you do the upgrade.

eagle4g63

Just put mine on yesterday, they fit like a glove took all of about 3 minutes to do. They must have improved the kit from what they use to offer. When I got my truck only one side had the upgrade kit on it and the other had a bad motor so I didn't worry about it...but now with the snow, I replaced the motor (used from C&C equipment) and put on the upgrade kit. I would have to look up the shipping but the kit was only $19 with the blade and everything(had like 3 different knurled ends)

I did notice that there were different wiper motors, maybe that is part of the prob, but both motors I had used the same size nut...so not sure about that part.

goldneagle

Just put mine on yesterday, they fit like a glove took all of about 3 minutes to do. They must have improved the kit from what they use to offer. When I got my truck only one side had the upgrade kit on it and the other had a bad motor so I didn't worry about it...but now with the snow, I replaced the motor (used from C&C equipment) and put on the upgrade kit. I would have to look up the shipping but the kit was only $19 with the blade and everything(had like 3 different knurled ends)

I did notice that there were different wiper motors, maybe that is part of the prob, but both motors I had used the same size nut...so not sure about that part.
My Anco set only had 2 knurled ends to choose from. One has set screws to hold it on the shaft and the other needs a nut on top to hold it on.

eagle4g63

The one I used had a recessed front that a shoulder nut went on with and the others were held on with set screws like you described, the hole in those were different sizes(I guess so you could use them on different size shafts)

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think the stock wiper arms themselves are lousy. The spring tension on them is weak -so they do not do a very good job of wiping the glass. THe new Anco arms have quite a bit of spring tension on them.
Yupp-my thoughts exactly.

eagle4g63

NO modification needed if you just use the Saturn kit, it comes with a knurled piece with a recess in it to accept the shouldered nut like this, it screws to the original shaft. Slip on wiper arm and enjoy.......including taking off the old one fetching my 7/16 wrench to install new one and putting on blade(which is included) took less than 3 minutes.

Attachments

eagle4g63

Also I did look at the amazon arms and they are the exact same thing from Saturn, but Saturn has everything you need in one bag, nuts, wiper arm, adapters, wiperblades...