• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wiper Blade Upgrade?

prairie

The wiper blades need replacing, and I think it would be a good time to upgrade to longer and better blades. I have not measured, but it appears that longer blades may fit, especially on the drivers side.
Has anyone put longer blades on? Do you have measurements and part numbers?
Also would like to here about any wiper brands or models that work better than the standard OEM type.
Searched and found nothing on wiper blades, but plenty about motors and wiper wiring.

gungearz

I believe they are 18" blades... I know on my suburban, I use a 20" on the drivers side and a 18" on the passenger side... The 20" just touches the window trim... Anything bigger on the passenger side hits the top window molding...

prairie

The M1008 came home from school, so I was able to measure the current blades and lengths that might fit.
current blades are 16", that is the OEM length
passenger side will take a 16" maximum length
drivers side will easily fit an 18" blade and possibly a 20".
I'm going to try the 20" first.

ssdvc

Ditto. I am running 18" on both sides on my M1009. Wish I had an intermittent feature.:D

I have 18" or 19" Goodyear blade wipers on both sides of my 1009, they work great...I also have intermittent :D The P.O. replaced the wiper motor and washer motor with the updated versions.

cpf240

Has anyone upgraded to intermittent wiper control? Would REALLY like to know how hard it would be to accomplish.
It is commonly done when people upgrade to a tilt steering column. Just make sure you get the intermittent wiper module on the column when you go the the pick and pull yard, otherwise they are expensive. I have not done this yet, but from reading threads here, it seem the wiper wiring connectors that plug into the column will then just plug into the intermittent wiper module, no other changes needed. Or so I understand it to be.

prairie

Ok, so I finally got my hands on some wiper blades, NAPA Vista, http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/R...ty=1&Dn=0&D=viasta+wiper+blades&Dk=1&Dp=3&N=0. Who makes these for NAPA?

Was able to fit a 20" blade, NAPA #WIP 602043, on the drivers side. It just barely fits, and a 19" (#WIP 601943) might possibly be needed on some windshields to prevent it from catching on top of the windshield molding.

On the passenger side, I am only able to fit a 16" OEM length blade due to someone replacing the wiper arm with an aftermarket type of some sorts. If it had an OEM wiper arm I am sure an 18" blade, NAPA #WIP 601843, would fit easily, but a 19" probably would not.

Am going to see if I have a wiper arm in my CUCV parts goody box at my shop. If not I will find one somehere, so that I can run the longest blades possible.

So it looks like a 20" blade on the drivers side and an 18" blade on the passenger side should work on most CUCVs, with OEM wiper arms.

prairie

If only my wiper motor could move such blades... Its lucky it if can move the stock ones on low speed... only high speed is a sure thing.
While searching this forum for wiper blade info, I came across a lot of info on wiper problems and fixes.
My wipers stop wherever they are when shut off and do not continue and stop at the "home" position, wipers run slow and labored when cold, and washer fluid does not work.
All of these problems are covered in the forum, and fixes are relatively easy.
Maybe I'll even see what it takes to put in an intermittent wiper control.
Guess I had better get to work!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks