• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wiper motor overheating?

cucvrus

I remove the wiper transmission completely from the cowl. I press grease and motor ol into the 4 ball joints and the spindles. You can feel how free they get while you are doing the greasing. I use the same grease gun adapter that I use on the CV joint to get the grease in the joints and spindles. Add a bit of motor oil in a squirt can and wipe everything clean and reinstall. I also agree with GREENMV the circuit come have over loaded and loosened the fuse connection. Easy fix he has. But cutting the circuit out and adding a circuit breaker with nutted attachments will work as well.DSCF3251.jpgI used this method on the 30 amp light circuit. The orange wires are from the light fuse in the fuse block. I also have the same thing for the wipers up a bit further attached. Ended the problem with the lights and the wipers. i think the 30+ years of deep snow use have taken the toll on the electrical connection in the fuse box. I just had this box out a few weeks ago and cleaned and filed all the connections and replaced the 3 circuits. Good Luck. DSCF2994.jpgThese 3 amigos is what I found. All were still good just making poor contact. Thus low amperage and heat build up.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My sugestion as to direct wiring to the battery was only intended as a test, not a solution.
If the motor doesn't overheat then I would look at the fuse block as was suggested. It may
look ok until you start pulling things apart and inspecting.
and definetly grease things up as was suggested.
good luck

Last edited:
Okay everyone, I'm starting to get very weirded out by my wipers. Let me explain. So I actually installed the OLD one OEM with the truck from 1984... The thing wipes like no tomorrow... SO FAST!!! So fast in fact the wiper blades are hitting the sides of the windshield gasket the whole time. The reason why I wanted to change this wiper motor was because the wipers never park right... They do, but never really at the bottom. Now, like I said I go through these wiper motors in search of one that works. 4 from AutoZone/Napa, and 1 from ACDelco (pricy!). They all overheat, and shut down even just by leaving them on the truck to run without the wiper arms even on the truck. I did confirm that my wiper linkages are in perfect shape. I'm so sick of this that I almost want to take a video of it because I feel like no one will believe it haha. What could this be?? Are the new ones that bad? Or is my truck doing something crazy weird? Maybe buying used is my only option?

Edit - does anyone know if one could use the 85-91 wiper motors instead? Like the models without the windshield washer pump? Those pump mechanisms seem to really slow down the motors. Maybe the reason my old one works so well is because that mechanism was already broken?

Last edited:

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fid you run a test jumper from the battery to the wiper motor and let it run?
The idea being to eliminate everything associated with the trucks wiring.
Just the positive and negative from the 12 volt battery. Make sure that is the
only thing connected to the battery and the other battery is disconnected.

Last edited:
I still have to attempt that test, perhaps tomorrow. But it really makes you wonder, why the old wiper motors run so darn good, and don't get hot! I'll try it out sometime. Either way, weird stuff, that's for sure...

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess I missed that. If the old wiper motors work good then you don't need to do that test.
Take the new motors back and get your money back.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks