• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wipers question

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just put my wipers back into service.. when I start them they want to go up.. am I missing something here?? I can put them on an park them on drivers side, but I know that’s not correct position.. I’m stumped.. almost like motor is
Reversed somehow... could it be in the linkage inside window frame?? I attached drivers side linkage closest to motor then passenger side in the back... I’m perplexed to say the least..
image.jpg

image.jpg
Thanks
Ocho out..
1988 M998

Last edited:

Action

The wipers should be parked on the passenger side.
Are you installing them on the driver side and they go up? Or are you installing them on the passenger side and they go up?

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wipers should be parked on the passenger side.
Are you installing them on the driver side and they go up? Or are you installing them on the passenger side and they go up?
I put on passenger side and they flipped up... so I just temporarily put on driver side ... could someone have switched wires under truck that would make unit run in reverse ??

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
I put on passenger side and they flipped up... so I just temporarily put on driver side ... could someone have switched wires under truck that would make unit run in reverse ??
Did you change motor and by chance put the drive paw indexed wrong? Now out of sync with stop position. Disconnect mechanics at motor and cycle motor to stop position. Place wipers in the stop position. Fussing with motor reconnect paw and cross fingers.

It's a puzzle. What else did you change? CAMO

Action

Yeah. Remove wiper arms. Remove bolts holding wiper motor to windshield frame. Pull it out a bit. Remove the single nut holding linkage to motor. Rotate linkage connection 180 degrees. Put back on motor shaft. Put nut back on shaft. Bolt motor back in. Put wipers on in correct spot. Try wipers...

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, If we want to get technical here 😂
The unit was dangling by 1 bolt when I received HMMWV. I replaced all the plastic pieces on the pivots.. I will check the indexing.. Question is, even if I retard or advance the index, the output shaft will still be driving the wiper arms up when initiating the wiper motor. Won’t it ?? . The outputs the arms attach to are running up/counter clockwise..up ((( If seated in vehicle. )))). They should be cycling clockwise .. down...if my brain is functioning correctly.. Again this is if seated..

But I’ll check my components...

And as I sit here pondering mechanical functions in my head, the possibility of rotating the paw 180 might do the trick..

Because the new position will enable an initial pull stroke on the pivot arms instead of a push stroke...

I’ll keep posted..

Thanks

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CamO Is less referring to indexing and more stating that you might be off by 180 degrees.

Also, remove the wipers and mark the spindles and see how they move. They should always park in the same position. Use that information to re-mount the wipers properly.

dhaumann69166

When I moved mine to the proper side I had the same issue. The metal piece that connects the motor to the arms that go to the wipers can be set in two positions. Set it 180° from how you have it and it will fix your issues. It’s only notched to sit either how you have it or 180° the other way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks