• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wipers?

Chief B

My wipers have always worked fine, but every since the last time I went off roading they just stopped working. I tested the wire at the switch and there is no power to it so my question is where exactly does this wire go? I tried checking the connections I could reach under the steering wheel.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are contacts under the windshield frame...got to fold it down to check.

papakb

The wiper motor gets its power from the same point as the gauges and grounds to the same point as the horn. So if the gauges work and the horn works like Greg says, the contacts at the centerpost of the windshieldare the culprit.

Chief B

I was afraid of that. Whoever I got my truck from has the cross beams jerry rigged with toggle bolts holding it to windshield so I guess I will need to either fix that or just get more toggle bolts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chief B

That was the problem and evidently it’s been a problem before because they have washers between each contact. I used carburetor cleaner to clean all contacts and the washers and now they work again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

papakb

I hope you used stainless washers so they won't rust up and create the problem all over again. I think brass would actually have been the best option.

Spiller

Hi! brand new here so forgive me if posting in the wrong place, I finally received my M1097a2 a couple of weeks ago, and is a work in progress, but the wipers are functional but park in the middle of the windscreen, is there a way I can get them to park on the opposite side where they are hidden near the roof line?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi! brand new here so forgive me if posting in the wrong place, I finally received my M1097a2 a couple of weeks ago, and is a work in progress, but the wipers are functional but park in the middle of the windscreen, is there a way I can get them to park on the opposite side where they are hidden near the roof line?
It's usually better to start a new thread for your own issue rather than hijack someone else's thread.
When they park in the middle, do you mean vertically up and down, or rather that the end it stops on in angled towards the drivers side making it park in the middle of where the driver vision is?
If it's the driver vision one, you can pull off the wiper motor, take the plate with the arms going to each wiper off of it, and reverse the direction of that plate by 180 degrees to get them to park on the opposite side, that's what I did.

Chief B

Mine do the same, when they stop, they are just to the right of straight down, but I can push it over to where it is supposed to go and it will stay until the next time I use the wipers. I have not yet figured out how to get them to stop in the up position. The passenger one works as should, just the drivers one doesn't.

Spiller

It's usually better to start a new thread for your own issue rather than hijack someone else's thread.
When they park in the middle, do you mean vertically up and down, or rather that the end it stops on in angled towards the drivers side making it park in the middle of where the driver vision is?
If it's the driver vision one, you can pull off the wiper motor, take the plate with the arms going to each wiper off of it, and reverse the direction of that plate by 180 degrees to get them to park on the opposite side, that's what I did.
Thank you and sorry, will do, thought as wiper issues maybe under one but noted for next time. It is the where they park in the drivers vision, will give it a go tomorrow, and let you know. Many thanks for your help :)

Spiller

Thank you and sorry, will do, thought as wiper issues maybe under one but noted for next time. It is the where they park in the drivers vision, will give it a go tomorrow, and let you know. Many thanks for your help :)
Worked a charm! Very easy and satisfying little job. Many thanks

papakb

When I first started repairing my truck I had similar parking problems with the wipers and found that on the linkage arms there are 2 plastic bushings that split and vanish. They just snap into place but their kind of a pain in the ass to replace. They're part numbers 7 and 8 in the drawing below. For whatever reason they only show 1 of two arms in the wiper system so you need to double up the quantity if you rebuild both sides.

There's also a nut on the wiper drive arm that attaches to the wiper motor that comes loose.

Wipers.jpg

Bushings.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks