• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wire ID help

DanR7985

I was flipping the batteries around to see if I could get my M1009 to start. Didn't work so I know I need to get new ones. While I was doing that I noticed this cut wire. Can anyone help me ID what it comes from or goes to? I would greatly appreciate it.

Attachments

SGT Estum

That is a grounding point. It needs to be electrically connected to the negative post of the 12V battery -- the front battery in a stock install. I think the "factory" way of doing this is by connecting it to a grounding point near the right headlight.

DanR7985

Thanks for the replies. The blinkers do work at night yes, and I did find the other portion of the cut wire. Now I just need to get some wire and rewire it. Just a shot in the dark. Do you guys think that would be any reason why I couldn't get it to start?

SGT Estum

We would need a lot more information to help with a "won't start" issue.

You could probably find the solution by using the search feature on this site. Most likely, someone else has had a similar issue and solved it already.

DanR7985

Here is a rundown of my scenario. I moved it from my old house to my new house. I couldn't get it to start. I tried to jump it with one vehicle on one battery and it wanted to start but wouldn't. I then used a car on each battery and it started. I let it idle for about a half hour then I drove it approximately 20 minutes to my new house. I continued to let it idle for an hour or so to make sure the alternators charged the batteries. I went out the next morning and tried to start it and it wouldn't start. Today I switched the front battery with the rear and the rear with the front. I tried to start it again. The glow plug lights on the inside along with all the other lights were pretty much nonexistent once I switched them. That leads me to believe that the at least one battery is bad. When you all said that it was a ground that needs to go to the battery I just was curious if that may be an the cause of the problem at hand.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before starting ANY elecrical work, make sure the batteries are FULLY charged and load tested.

This is straight from the technical manual and many other places. If you don't then you are wasting your time.

Sounds like one or both of the batteries are dead.

Last edited:

idM1028

:ditto:
I've found the trucks are picky when it comes to having a charge on the batteries. From what I've seen the alternators suck at charging the batteries. Best bet would be yank the batteries and put them on a charger or take them an auto parts store and have them put a charge on it. Most places will do this for free.