• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wire loom tape?

ramdough

Anyone know what tape is used on the ends of the wire looms? It looks like simple electrical tape, but it is not slimy when it get old like regular electrical tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coachgeo

you can get shrink wrap tape. Amazon etc. Some kinds kinds are sticky on one side.... you put it on..... like it is electrical tape... then heat it to shrink it.

BUTT... it's not that easy if you really need one end to stay at say a plug etc.. Takes some practice. In videos on installing it you see them always ziptie-ing the tail before heat gun use. You might find it better to zip tie the one important end real tight, maybe two small ones on that end. With practice you learn how to shrink it to pull up toward that fixed end instead of it sucking in from both directions. I've ended up more than once to have to do the plug end with extra tape wraps more than once to get it sealed well at the plug end.

finished product is water tight..... nice stuff.

Last edited:

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The current standard in automotive harness tape is Tesa 51036 and related sizes.

It's an excellent wrap to protect against abrasion, etc.

I second the use of heat shrink with sealant before wrapping with abrasion resistant coverings, etc. I often use high temp split loom over my harnesses before wrapping them in Tesa tape.

Third From Texas

I'd use shrink tape if I wanted it to be permanent or if it might be exposed to environment.

If you want future access (ie removal) I use a top-end 3M.

If it's to be accessible and around heat sources I'd go with a heat resistant like the Tesas above.

But don't waste money on the cheap jap-wrap...

I'm a huge fan of liquid electrical tape. I slop that stuff on everything (especially where exposed to the elements). It's rugged but can still be removed.

coachgeo

I'm a huge fan of liquid electrical tape. I slop that stuff on everything (especially where exposed to the elements). It's rugged but can still be removed.
Much agree. If you keep the bottle long enough it thickens up and you can near about mold it around the base of a plug. Have even found hitting it with a heat gun smooths it out . Bet you cold sorta make a grommet with thickened stuff out of an old bottle for where wires goes thru a hole; though coolant or fuel hose for that likely better..

coachgeo

I have made many harnesses and used Scotch 33 to spiral wrap and at the ends and joints. Joints I used tape under the split loom and T splitters over the tape. Never had an issue.
thanks..... learn something new everyday. Love the idea of the T-Splitter

ramdough

Here is a link to the thread where I used it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spankybear

The average electrician use case is a lot different than wire loom on a truck.
You can't go wrong with 3m 33 tape. Use it a lot and used it on many many vehicles. It is stretchy and if you don't like that use 3m 88

BTW I use 33 at work and home. (work at an airplane factory) Also have access to 88 but I do not like that for wire bundles /looms

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Super 33 has it's place, but Tesa is just better in virtually every respect - it doesn't turn to goo around heat or fluids, has better abrasion resistance, looks more professional, etc.

If your still using 33 for most jobs it's because you haven't tried the Tesa offerings.

Just my experience - my shop builds and wires race cars, hot rods, sand rails, jet boats.... all kinds of junk. Customers are always pleased with the harnesses we build.

Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing's Super 33 has it's place for sure. Same with splicing tape, cambric tape, etc. They all have uses. I just don't prefer them for the outer covering of wiring harnesses in automotive applications. Anyone that's dealt with gooey, melted vinyl tape will be pleased with the Tesa and how it handles this environment.

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a bunch of rolls of what appears to be a silicon-based tape. They were in a lot of stuff I picked up. If I can get out to the rolls and find an MSN number, I will post it

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found a roll in the garage. NSN # 5970-00-177-1627. Insulation tape, electrical. There is a post on that expensive auction site, asking $20 a roll, but he has pictures up. I have a bunch if people have interest and can do a classified if anyone is interested. Prob 1/4 of that plus shipping. I may have 40-50 rolls of this stuff

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks