• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wire rope replacement

oldmx

I purchased an NOS winch for my Deuce which came with no wire rope. I purchased the wire rope but for the life of me I cannot source the winch line holder and chain clevis in my local area. I looked at the Esmet site but I cannot find what looks to be a wire line holder, am I just blind or do they not have one. Also my end chain is from a 5 ton and has a screw end on it where the wire rope would connect to it. Does anyone know the size and pitch of the threads and where I can source the clevis. I did do a search but I could not find an answer unless again I am not looking in the right location.

Thanks for your replies.

Mike

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Metro Industrial Supply LLC , they have a website , I believe they are out of Chicago , they have all the Esmet clevis ends for your wire rope . I just got a nice clevis for my new wire rope for my M37 . bob k

tailboardtech

When I worked for a towing company and I just replaced the cable on our brush unit at the firehouse I sourced everything through the James walker company here just outside of Baltimore. I'm sure if you send them a picture they can find it for ya they have been around for a long time.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Metro Industrial Supply LLC , they have a website , I believe they are out of Chicago , they have all the Esmet clevis ends for your wire rope . I just got a nice clevis for my new wire rope for my M37 . bob k
:ditto:

I've bought ends from these people before.

Artisan

I would not replace my cable w/ metallic if I needed to.
I would go to Samson Rope company and buy a superior
synthetic rope.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ever failed a synthetic rope?
Ever looked at the real load use ratings for synthetic rope?
There is a reason severe duty still calls for wire.

To address the OP's question, any good rope and sling company can fix you up. Have them install the end and proof load. The tail chain from a 5-ton winch (front) is the same as a 2-1/2 ton's.
What are you calling a "screw end"?

Artisan

Yes Squirt, I have on all counts and few civilian guys actually fall into the severe duty
category. Excessive abrasion and fire or heat will kill a Synthetic rope
and QUICK but a guy only needs to try to run out 80' of cable off a
M939 series winch while alone, and he will quickly be wishing for a synthetic rope.

What does the TM call for, Soldier A,B,C AND D to do that deed?

One man can easily handle a synthetic line.

oldmx

Thanks for the replies I will check the leads out. In regards to the wire vs. synthetic reply I already had a spool of new wire so I went with that option. Squirt-Truck, the screw in end I am speaking of is related to the chain end of the wire. I was given a 5 ton chain end which was unscrewed from the original 5 to winch. What I am looking for is the male end that screws into the chain to attach it to my new wire. I cannot seem to find only the male end just complete clevises.

Mike