• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wire type used in vehicles?

sangamon

What type of wire is used for "ordinary" wiring in military vehicles? "Type" means like THHN, SJOOW, SJT, SPQR, or the like.

I want to add a 24v/12v converter, backup light, license plate light, and audible backup alarm. When I wire them, I'd like to use the same kind of wire that is already in the truck (1969 M656).

I've found dozens of MIL-C specs for wire and cable, but they don't say what is commonly used. I've googled and searched SS but don't really find anything about wire type. It's all black and stranded, but the jacket type isn't obvious to me.

I have lots of stranded wire that I use on my boat, but don't know if that would be appropriate for my M656. I'm not trying to do a concours restoration, but also don't want to do something completely wrong.

So, what kind or brand of wire do you folks use?

Thanks.

AN/ARC186

I use Marine grade wire from Anchor, looks the same as the Prestolite and has better insulation characteristics. Best of all, you can buy it at just about any of the boat supply places in Seattle.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks