• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wireless Generator Parameter Monitoring

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the Pi and the IO board it looks like most everything I've seen is written in Python2.

I've not done any serious C coding and I don't know if the needed libraries for the hardware are available in C. There may be some Perl script on the database and web side of things. The hardware interaction is looking like it will be Python.

I doubt I'll go open source since my hope is to offer complete kits for sale.

Triple Jim

Python isn't too bad. The C libraries are available, but if you're not going to share the program, then do it in whatever language you like best. :D

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I checked with the maker of the IO board and he did confirm that libraries aren't available in C yet. The only option at the moment is Python.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah, Yea. GIPO libraries are out there. The IO card has its own processor so its a little different than manipulating GPIO pins. I do like the idea of running a compiled program versus a script. It will be a lot more efficient. It does sound like using C is possible later.

Also, I didn't want it to sound like I wasn't going to share info about the project. I will certainly share.

Edit - If I were going to program in a language that I had any real experience in it would be TCL. That one should be pretty much dead now.

Last edited:

CT-Mike

So for monitoring things like output volts, frequency, coolant temp, and oil pressure, can I just tap off of the panel meter input without loading down the circuit too much?

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some yes and some no. You can tap the temp and pressure. You may be able to tap the voltage (I've not measured that yet). You can't tap the frequency at the gauge.

CT-Mike

Ok thanks. Obviously I have some reading to do in the tech manual so that I can work on some circuit design.

TooMuchWork

according to my notes from over a year ago...
fuel empty: 216-264 ohms; fuel full: 29.7-36.3 ohms (the inverse of a standard VDO sender)
temps: 164-116F= 117-143 ohms; 204-156F=58.2-71.5ohms
oil pressure: 32-48psi=113.3-92.7ohm; 72-80psi=36.85-30.15ohms
Hope this helps. I had looked into using a voltage divider setup to go with the arduino remote start project i've been killing time with. I'm leaning towards just putting in standard well known sensors in with a lcd display (just getting rid of the analog gauges) but I havent had much time to work on much of anything lately.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would recommend doing an opamp or optocoupler and setting that circuit up to drive the inputs at the proper level. You don't want to add any burden to the signal path between the sensor and the gauge. It will introduce an error. An opamp or optocoupler are high enough impedance to not shift the signal too much. In the case of an optocoupler they can add some isolation that a straight voltage divider won't. Could save an input if something went wrong. My thoughts at least.

The stuff I'm working on is going to be easy to install and won't change how the existing gauges work. You'll be able to see all the data on a web page and/or read the physical gauges. Your choice.

CT-Mike

Thanks for that help, I'll use your numbers as a starting point and verify them as much as possible.

CT-Mike

An Opamp is what I was thinking of using to not load down the circuit. If you look at http://firebottleradio.com/watts/index.html he is using an opamp circuit to read the input from a couple of current transformers to monitor KW on a generator. That is what I am using as a starting point for my project, I just want to add coolant temp, oil pressure, output voltage, frequency, and fuel level for remote monitoring.

CT-Mike

Would it be easier just to add Arduino compatible temperature and pressure sensors somewhere in the system?

TooMuchWork

yes it would be easier and they are available. On one of the 802s I haven't had much time to work on I have a pressure transducer and a temp probe from that big auction site i will be trying tomorrow. One is analog and one is digital output but both have greater accuracy than needed (+-.5C and .25psi). Temp probe is a modified DS18B20. i dont have a part number for the 100psi pressure transducer.

CT-Mike

yes it would be easier and they are available. On one of the 802s I haven't had much time to work on I have a pressure transducer and a temp probe from that big auction site i will be trying tomorrow. One is analog and one is digital output but both have greater accuracy than needed (+-.5C and .25psi). Temp probe is a modified DS18B20. i dont have a part number for the 100psi pressure transducer.
Are there available ports you were able to use, or did you have to tap into the system somewhere? Please provide a little more info if you can.

Thanks.

TooMuchWork

For the pressure transducer I added a 1/8"npt tee and a short threaded piece by the original pressure sender right by the normal-off-crank switch. For the temperature sender there are only two ports, one for the sender and one for the over temp switch. i didnt want to take out the stock over temp switch just yet so the original temp sender to the gauge had to go (there isnt a extra port and affixing the sensor to the housing proved difficult and error prone). I guess one could mill and tap an extra port if they wanted to. This particular ds18b20 is waterproof and is mounted to a 1/8"npt nipple to fit. The ds18b20 came with a 1meter lead and the transducer can be bought with a 10' lead separately.

CT-Mike

This particular ds18b20 is waterproof and is mounted to a 1/8"npt nipple to fit. The ds18b20 came with a 1meter lead and the transducer can be bought with a 10' lead separately.
What kind of hardware did you use to seal between the sensor and the nipple?

Thanks

TooMuchWork

("there isnt a extra port").
I'm going to have to retract this comment for the time being as looking into the housing online some that I've found have an extra port that is plugged at all times. On page 10 of the engine parts tm items 10&11 show a plug. I will double check what is actually on the 802/803 tomorrow. As for the sealant I used some highheat JBweld on the back end and some chemical-proof epoxy where it would contact the coolant. The next demo one I make will probably just use the jbweld just because it will be cleaner and easier. i'll have to check if the jbweld can contact the coolant without causing any problems

rustystud

You're younger than I am, Ike. I learned BASIC in high school, putting the programs on paper tape and running them via teletype on some county school system computer somewhere. Then at the U of MD I learned Fortran IV, putting the instructions onto cards on an IBM card punch and ran them on the school's Univac 1108. UNIX didn't exist yet.
I was reading through this old thread and saw this post. I remember running Fortran IV with WatFour and Wat Five. Don't drop all those cards either ! I remember when we wanted to prank someone we would make up a card with an "endless loop" on it and slip it into there pile ! The machine would go crazy and the instructors would get really mad at whoever put in the last program ! It didn't take much to entertain us back then !
I wish I had stayed with programing. One of my friends started working with a young programmer and his crew. I remember telling him computers would not be a good career choice. That little companies name was "Microsoft" .:oops:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks