• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wiring an inverter to both batteries

giterdunn

I've had a 2000w inverter wired to my front batt for a few years but now I want to wire it to the other battery to get power from both alternators. Wired to the front batt it will run a hand grinder, electric impact, and circular saw, but one at a time not all at once. It will also run a computer, screen, sound system, projector, refridgerator, and hot water heater all at once and only shows a quarter load!What it won't run is a small air compressor or 2 power tools at the same time, because of the startup load. That and this **** hurricane leaving my house without power since last friday (just came back on today) has me wanting to hook it up to the rear battery as well to get more power from the second alternator. I thought I understood the CUCV's wiring system but I recently saw a diagram that made me realize that I don't. What I'm trying to figure out is will having both batteries wired to the inverter will screw with the 24v side of the truck? I think it will because having both grounds meet at the inverter sort of negates the alternators isolated ground right?

richingalveston

to use both alts you will have to get a 24v inverter. you will still only produce 100amps at 12volts. you can get 100 amps at 24 volts with second alt and battery. the system only produces 100 amps max at 12v. no matter how you connect to the batteries.

you just need to put that one in your civy car and buy a 24V inverter so you can use 100 amps at 24V which is twice the power of 100 amp at 12V

and yes I think you will cause some electrical sparks trying to connect to both bats while feeding them 24v.

giterdunn

But I thought that the batteries were charged separately by each alternator, and only things that are hooked up to both in series are 24v? I'm talking about hooking them up to the inverter in parallel, so the amps are added together. By the way what is the actual amps of the 27si alternator? I've read so many different answers, 65, 85, 100 and 115 amps which one is it?

Blood_of_Tyrants

Won't work. The neg of the rear battery is connected to the positive of the front battery. If you hooked your inverter to both batteries you would be shorting the neg to the positive. Draw the circuit out on paper and you'll see. Get a second inverter or a 24v inverter.

giterdunn

That's what I was worried about. What if I put a disconnect switch on that cable that links the batteries? If I'm thinking right that would prevent a short and disable the 24v circuit, but would the alternators still be connected to the batteries right?

richingalveston

the driver alt charges the front batt at 12volt and the passenger alt charges the back batt at 24volts.

The second alt only doubles the voltage. It does not create more amps. you can add a third alt and get 100 amps at 36 volts and add a third battery.

You must have a 24 volt inverter to get the use of 24volts out of the system.

once the alts start, you no longer have negative terminal at the second battery, it becomes 12V positive. with the truck off and cable disconnected, your theory will work.

Last edited:

giterdunn

Oh that's where I was wrong, I didn't know the second alt was also wired in series I thought it was just isolated and only hooked up to the second battery. Guess I'll get a 24v inverter then, thanks for the info.

I wonder if two batts will give you more than the 2000 Watts? I think duration only will increase. If your skills and wallet are up to it, a 12v conversion will get you there. Plus a gear reduction starter. Lose the glow plug resistor bank and the alts are easier to source, and higher output.
It is pricey though.

giterdunn

My glow plugs have already been converted to 12v, I'm waiting for my starter to go out before I replace it with a 12v. The wiring in my truck is a mess I'm not even sure how much it has in common with a CUCV anymore. The guy I bought it from blew up the military 6.2, swapped in a 350 small block, blew that up and then went back to a brand new 6.2 crate motor and put the J-code stuff on it. So its been converted to 12v before when it had a 350 but he put the 24v starter back on when he went back to a 6.2, couldn't figure the wiring out, got frustrated with it and sold me a low miles CUCV with a brand new motor for $3k :) Had a 700r4 behind it too when I bought it but he gave me the original th400 and I put that back in when I tore up the 700 doing farm work. Man it would really scoot with that OD though I miss it lol. With the inverter I wasn't looking to get more than 2000w, just a tempory amp boost from the other battery to overcome the startup load on some power tools.