• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wiring GP relay

STRAGLER

One thing I am having trouble with, how do you know which small terminal on the GP relay for the pink and which for the blue? switching them purposed 2 scenerios. Is there a meter test I can perfrom to insure? Does the blue wire connect to the terminal closer to the feed(red) or to the orange to the glow plugs? Thanks for the help!!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are replacing the Glow Plug relay with a direct replacement(identical) part, it technically does not matter. If you are using a "generic" or "ford type" relay, then it needs to have isolated relay coil. (measure for continuity between either of the small terminals, to the mounting tabs and or the large terminals, if there is continuity, you can't use that relay)

Last edited:

STRAGLER

Thanks for the quick response!
I purchased one @ autozone for about $14 (second pic). Notice voltage when key is in run. (depicting bad glow plugs)
first pic is the original b4 I replaced. wires were opposite. Wiring new one this way I get 24 on red /12v on pink/ blue grounds/ 0v on gp(orange)?

Attachments

Crash_AF

The small terminals don't matter with the proper relay. As long as one is positive and one is negative, the relay will close. On a 'Ford Style' starter solenoid, there is one positive wire for closing the relay to start labelled 'S' and one that provides 12V to the coil, bypassing the resistor for a hotter spark labeled 'I'. This relay uses the mounting base as the ground. Since the CUCV system controls the ground signal, this relay won't work with the system.

Also, looking at your pictures, it appears that the small orange wire is not hooked up. Look around for a small orange wire with a large ring terminal. This terminal goes to the glow plug side of the relay (the big orange wires) The system will not work without this wire hooked up.

BTW, what application did you look up for the relay? A Ford Powerstroke relay works, as does an earlier Ford 6.9 diesel. They usually run around $20-30

Later,
Joe

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We need to know the brand and part number for the relay that you installed. You most likely have installed the wrong one.(unless you specified that you needed an isolated ground relay)

The glow-plug controller card, switches the Blue wire(ground) to activate the GPs. If you installed a typical ford starter(that is grounded via the mount), your gps will be on all the time(unless the engine stays hot). This will cause them to burn out.

STRAGLER

The relay was explained as a standard starter solenoid 12v (part#F496 @Autozone) around $15.
Crash_AF: The small orange wire is connected, It was behind the larger orange (hidden)run into the boot. Thanks for the observation!
The first pic on previous post correction, this is the new autozone one(F496)
The second is a pic of the old one b4 I replaced it. (w/the orange wires already removed)
Doghead: On meter, w/the new relay, key on 12v(10.8v) on pink/0v key off. was this not indicate the 12v side of relay is being ground by blue from control card?
Thanks again for everyones help!!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, the relay you installed will not work! It's coil is grounded through the mount. You need one that is not grounded through the mount. As I said above, the important thing to test, is to see if the controller is providing ground to the relay coil(that's what turns the relay on and off, not the pink wire).

I would guess, by installing the wrong relay, as you have done, you may have ruined your GP controller card and also burned out your Glow Plugs.

You need to replace it with the correct part, and do a full test of the other components. The correct replacement relay part number is here in the cucv forum, in the WIKI and in the FAQ, also in several old posts(search).

Last edited:

STRAGLER

GREAT!! :oops:
Your probably right!!
Makes since why glow plugs went AWOL (did run good for about a day until I install new batterys)
Will do diagnosis on GP module tomorrow. Already have new GP's
What relay do you reccomend?
The posts Ive read has diffent ideas?
AC40?
ST85 (NAPA)?

Thanks for everones help!! gong 2 bed will chk bck 2morow

Crash_AF

The card is most likely ok... no worries there but the plugs are probably burnt out.

Go to Autozone and get a Glow Plug Relay for a 1996 F350 with the 7.3 diesel.

Later,
Joe

STRAGLER

Pink only on bottom, blue is on top. Small orange is run in same boot as large orange is in. (Not in pic)
This was the relay and wiring of, that was on the truck when I purchased from GL.