• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wiring Harness. Did I buy what I think I bought

lhofeld

........ Or did I waste my money.

I found this and it was listed as a 416 or 101 wiring harness for use with 7 pin civy conectors. I do not know that the colors match what they should for where they go on the conector but it looks like the circuits are labeled. I am hoping when I go to pick my trailer up I can swap this and the bulbs and be ready to roll. I have looked the trailer over and was not able to check the fluid but when you push back on the pintle it moves back and it feels like there is fluid resistance. I figure if what I am reading about EUCs it will be February or March before I can pick it up.

Last edited:

derf

IIRC, trailer wiring colors should be:

Red = left turn/brake
Green = right turn/brake
Brown = marker/running lights

White should be ground. I'd connect that to something, if possible, either with a ring connector screwed to the frame under the connector box or the trailer chassis or I'd reconnect wire 23 in the back to the grounds on each light and to the white wire in the front.
23 is blackout brake light.

In the connector box you'll find similar connectors with simiilar numbers. The box is mounted on the "road-side" of the trailer frame, aft of the pintle, where the big electrical wire emerges.

Here is a diagram of the 116 wiring:
WIRING DIAGRAM

derf

My first EUC took over 90 days.

I am assuming M101A2.
If your pintle is not high enough to tow the trailer level I would disable the trailer brakes. There is a hole in the surge brake device to install a pin to disable the brakes. IIRC, you need a 3/8" by 4" or longer pin or grade 5 or 8 bolt. You will need a pin/bolt if you have to back the trailer up a grade.

Also, if surge brake equipped, there is a small chain and lever that acts as an emergency brake if the trailer breaks away. If it is pulled forward the brakes will(should) engage. It can be reset by pulling aft.

Of course, make sure the handbrakes are off when you want to move.

derf

I used a Harbor Freight magnetic tow light kit, on sale for $9.99, with a 4 pin flat connector.

Inspect the tires thoroughly. Bring at least one good spare. The trailers I've seen have been in very good condition but ALL of the tires were old, cracked, and unsafe.

Make contact with the POC at the site. Nicely make sure they know that you know exactly what is with your trailer. While you wait for your EUC, someone else might decide they want your canvas top, or bows, or whatever else isn't bolted down. Take the pictures from the auction with you, you may need to reference them. 99.9% of the time, everything is OK and the lots are not tampered with. But, I know sometimes people end up getting things like ammo cans without lids.

derf

Install a ring or fork terminal on that white wire.
When you find the connectors under the box you should see one wire under a screw. Put the white wire ring terminal under that screw with the other wire.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your golden with that harness.. Just match up the #'s on the metal bands on the trailer's harness to the rubber stamped markers on the cable you have. It doesnt get more easy than that. Should be a 2 minute job. Put some dielectric grease on the ends to make it easier to get on and off later down the road.

lhofeld

"This link doesn't work:"

That is what I get for doing stuff in the middle of the night. I have been lurking for a few weeks trying to learn everything I could but you can only learn so much by lurking and need to engage to get everything. The trailer I am waiting to pick up looks to have good relatively new tires and I have already started to look at ball lock pins. I have a 10K pintle hitch and need to get an adapter plate so I can set it up to the correct height. I measured it at approx 22" of the ground sitting on the leg. I am on pretty good terms with one of the ladies that works there and the yard guy. They let me come out and look over it again and take pictures. What I was not able to do was check the fluid and I forgot to check the bolts under the master cylinder. I thought I would be able to take better pictures than I did and I cannot tell if they are there. It looks like the chains should be long enough to reach my hitch but I will take some extra just in case. Something I noticed on this trailer is the "emergency brake" with the chain; you have to have something to pry up on a leaf spring to disengage it. It is serrated on the back and locks when it is pulled. I am really quite excited about getting it. I made two mistakes when I ordered my Tacoma. The first not getting side mirrors with defrost and the second getting a short bed. I have a crew cab and thought it would make the truck too long but the short bed has bit me on more than one occasion.

steelandcanvas

I see in your last post you know about checking the hidden bolts under the master cylinder. Be sure and do this as we know of a couple of instances where they were loose, missing or sheared off. Good luck!