• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wiring harness

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, I started out trying to brighten my gages at night and now that I've got the left fender off (?????) doing some rust repair I've noticed all of the wiring has seen better days. Multiple home grown splices, miles of added black tape, broken wires left dangling...probably no different than any other 50 year old deuce. So I've read many of the threads about replacing the front harness and it seems to be pretty easy. Unfortunately they are now $500+ and can't find one at the moment. Prob have to wait until the end of the month anyway for money reasons so maybe by then I can find one. No disconnect at the firewall, it just goes through a grommeted hole. With all of the metal tags and connectors included not to mention the correct breakout I wouldn't consider building my own unless it starts to fail and I'm forced to do so.

My questions are:
1. Does the front harness include the wiring behind the dash?
2. Where does it split between the front and rear and how do they connect? Hardwired or thru a connector? Not much aft of the cab but would be nice to know.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found one for $475 at Rapco. Hope its still there when my SSA check comes!

I've seen some for $138 but they are for early trucks with no turn signal.

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't find it now, it might have sold? You could try posting a parts wanted ad. Good luck with your search.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, under the rear of the cab there is a cannon connector that connects the harnesses together. If you can do at least a little wiring, there is an LDS427 deuce harness (actually a few of them from the same seller) on ebay for $125. It's been a while and I don't remember the differences in the harness. On that same note, I noticed that the harness on my M51A2 is quite crunchy. I was lucky enough to find one on ebay for $250 but before I bought it, I did my due diligence and reached out to Memphis and White Owl. Memphis responded quickly letting me know that they no longer carry that harness. George at White Owl said he did have it, NOS for $195.

I would get in the 34P and get the PN and NSN and do a little shopping. 2590-00-076-6001 is the NSN for the LDS427 harness. I know that 6001 from encountering them years back.

Did a little digging. The exact front harness for everything but the M275A2 and M756A2 is PN; 11677081 NSN; 2590-01-016-3187.
Eastern Lists them, contact for price. Found one on Ebay $545. Front Line Military Vehicles still has one listed, unknown if they still have it. Looks like the site hasn't changed in years. If you are uncomfortable adapting the 6001 harness, do yourself a favor and before you spend $500 or more, put a call into Memphis or my favorite, White Owl in Kinston NC.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen several for under $200 but they are all for very early deuces (so they say) that don't have turn signals. Rapco has one for $475 but that's still pretty steep. Not familiar with Front Line but always like another option. I'll give Eastern a call in the morning and check out Front. Thanks much!

JCKnife

Be careful I bought a wiring harness from a member here several years ago. He said it was for a Deuce but it isn't.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks David. I actually did avionic installations on small jets for years so I know I could do it, and I might change my mind and do it anyway. But I really don't need another project, much less one to work outside in the weather. Do you know does a real harness include that behind the dash?
Thanks for the offer.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My NOS harness from White Owl arrived today. The wiring and insulation is as supple as a prom queens thigh. While laying out a new harness wouldn't be that tough, crimping all those connection with my Daniels AF-8 crimper (proper tool) would be tedious. Years ago they were a buck each, bet they are more now.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My NOS harness from White Owl arrived today. The wiring and insulation is as supple as a prom queens thigh. While laying out a new harness wouldn't be that tough, crimping all those connection with my Daniels AF-8 crimper (proper tool) would be tedious. Years ago they were a buck each, bet they are more now.
Yea I'm going to op for a complete harness when I can afford it. I ordered some connectors to repair the pigtails on my lights and what ever needs them. Let us know how it goes in. I have to work outside on mine so even after I get it I have to wait for better weather.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea I'm going to op for a complete harness when I can afford it. I ordered some connectors to repair the pigtails on my lights and what ever needs them. Let us know how it goes in. I have to work outside on mine so even after I get it I have to wait for better weather.
I will but don't expect a report anytime soon. I need to get it running to get it off church property then it's going to sit for quite a few months. While getting it ready to remove fender I noticed the wiring, figured I better secure a harness while I can.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just got my new harness. It's in beautiful shape and was still sealed in the original package.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks