• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wiring Harness

just me

Be careful with a NOS harness. It may be as bad as your existing harness. Time takes its toll on the wire insulation in even the best of conditions and if the harness hasn't been stored "perfectly" it may just crumble in your hands when you go to install it. Many folks in the hobby have learned this lesson the hard and costly way.

rebelliners

So here is my story with a little background. It just so happens wiring is my specialty I own a small business that builds police cars for years now complete builds and that's a lot of wiring. So the good news is I can handle this but this was the last thing I thought I'd be doing to my Deuce. I got this truck about a month ago and yes this is my first M35A2 it’s a 1966 KJ. I worked my college days in a big truck shop when I first got this truck I took it to a shop that works Deuces not two far from me and had them go through truck and had a inspection completed it passed with no problem. Now the thing I needed to point out was this truck sat the last 13 years it was released from the US government in 2004 and when I registered it the original miles to now showed it’s only had 600 miles put on it since it left. I purchased this truck as a dream wanted a Deuce for 15 + years now but was never willing to drive a long distance to bring one home. About two nights ago I was doing the man thing and siting in it late night after changeling some door hinges and was messing around with the light switch trying to program in my head its positions and what turns on when' I noticed the driver side front yellow marker was not lighting or with blinker bilking. So assumed the bulbs took a crap opened the light and did not get anything with my test light oddly enough the only light that worked was my black out light. So naturally thought ground after changing bulbs and no luck, out came my creeper and boy that’s when for the first time I said holy crap this is not good. Upon my wire tracing down the driver side harness as my hand gently followed the wiring I could hear cracking and initially said that's just the old tape or rap dry rotted "it is what it is its 51 years old I said to myself". So when I got to the horn wire that runs out the bottom of the steering gear box I realized it was almost gone as I grabbed it and it snapped of by its connector like a piece of old wood. I looked carefully and I'd say 80% of my front wiring is shot brittle and even large sections are looking bare. I originally noted how rough the wires looked on the back side of the blinker actuator in the cab if you take your finger and rub the wire the coating will rub off "scary" now listen I am not telling anyone what to do or battle if I am right or wrong but I can tell you this yes I can patch some new wire in and heat shrink some areas and so on and I did. I found the wire decayed off at the connectors to the driver side marker light and fixed it also this is fine and dandy for tooting around and driving to a parade or two. But if you think this is sufficient for driving off road or threw water and mug I would beware of the condition your wiring harness is in. I spent over 6 + plus hours yesterday calling every military restorer or parts place I could find a phone number for in the US. I am not going to slander any of their names but I will tell you several of them said they can order it for price ranges of 1500.00 to 1800.00 and when I questioned them if they were buying this from http://vintagewiring.com/ most said ‘’yes’’ one big parts seller said that’s all that’s left and claimed around 2014 they all dried up and most deuce fires are in relation to bad harnesses. After all the time I spent on the phone I found one NOS with the right part number for the M35A2 part number 2590000163187 and got it for around 500.00 shipped some shop called the White Owl who only had one on the shelf still can’t believe I found one maybe someone out there is sitting on a bunch of NOS stock and is just waiting for the right moment to cash out on these I can tell you one thing I don’t see the price going down. (Buyer beware of the E-bay front harness that are cheap they are all for M35A1 gas jobbers)
Ok just got a huge lead from Michael Virili From BIG MIKE'S MOTOR POOL https://www.bigmikesmotorpool.com/pages/frontpage he is also on FB check out the M35A2 FB group page. He said he has located a hand full and if anyone is looking I would get a hold of him ASAP. Price looking to be around 550.00 I just got this information in and have purchased many parts from him before he’s awesome.

20170418_155234.jpg

just me

That even comes with the expensive bits like flasher and lever. I hope it isn't petrified and will give years of service. I've never been that lucky. And, just as a point of forum pendantics. This is the M37 subforum. You might also want to post this in the M35 subforum.

rebelliners

That even comes with the expensive bits like flasher and lever. I hope it isn't petrified and will give years of service. I've never been that lucky. And, just as a point of forum pendantics. This is the M37 subforum. You might also want to post this in the M35 subforum.

LOL I wish I knew how to.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks