• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wiring Help- What is this part/wire?

Sasquatch

My M1008 is blowing the IGN CONTROL 20 amp fuse and will not start, turn key, no wait light, no water in fuel light, but starter turns over. Finally got it rolled into the garage. I removed and tested all the glow plugs and checked the connections they are good.

Near the furtherest back glow plug on the passenger side, I found a green wire connected to what I assume is a sensor on the engine block, the plastic terminal was fried and melted. I also found a brown wire with a black stripe with a female spade hanging free and holding a male spade that appears was soldered to a component or wire that burned up. Both wires come out of the wiring harness with the green wires to the glow plugs.

I have searched the TM's, wiring diagrams, and parts manual. The only image I found that shows the sensor of course doesn't have it labeled, see the red arrow, it looks like both wires may connect to the same sensor. Not knowing what I'm looking at I can't search the wiring diagrams and TM to find the right section, doesn't seem to be part of the glow plug circuit, so it might not even solve the engine start issue.

Thanks for any help, see the attached diagram from the parts manual.
Screen shot 2014-01-25 at 1.10.59 PM.jpg

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is the temp switch that controls the high idle and cold advance on the injector pump. Diagram 3 or 4. The wire is hot when ever the key is on. The switch opens when the engine heats up.

If it grounds it will blow the fuse.

Sasquatch

It runs again! Thanks. Got the switch out without draining the coolant, but I wouldn't recommend it, it was a gusher, but didn't lose too much coolant, just got a shower.

Napa part number was TS7265, and it was made in the US, $42.

One tip that could be worth a Sticky, the Google search works much better than the forum search for things with short common words like cold advance, fast idle switch.